Scubapro MK10 Rebuild Question - 1st Time DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mcarlson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought an old Scubapro MK10 and an O-ring kit to teach myself to service/rebuild. I have it completely disassembled, old O-rings removed, and cleaned in an ultrasonic tank. The piston appears smooth. The channels where the O-rings sit also appear undamaged.

Is there anything additional to check, clean, or do before I reassemble it?

thanks in advance.

Unless there were some problems you noticed in the pre-inspection that need more examination, it looks like you are ready to assemble.

Good Luck.

I would pay special attention to the ambient chamber and make sure there's no corrosion.

Reassembled with new O-rings and HP seat. The IP is 125 and it seems to be holding there without any creep. I don't have any shims to add to bring the IP up any more, so this will have to do for now.

Moving on to the G250 - also my first.

Thanks to all who contributed to any of the MK10 threads.

I usually set my Mk5s at 125. It may climb a little as the seat is broken in. Over time with normal wear, IP will continue to climb. The balanced G250 is less effected by IP creep than an unbalanced 2nd. I suspect you are probably good for 5 years or so.

IMO, it is not worth opening it all up again and removing the piston to add a washer or 2. An expedient way of raising the IP on a Mk5/7/10 about 5 psi is to add a Mk20/25 adjustment washer (they are larger than the Mk10 washer) between the body and the seat retainer. It does not always work as the washer may interfere with the sealing of the retainer o-ring, but it is usually OK. Once it does seal, it stays.

125 PSI is fine for a MK10. If you remove the piston or disturb the seat you are likely to introduce a bit of creep. It's not worth it.

I bought an old Scubapro MK10 and an O-ring kit to teach myself to service/rebuild. I have it completely disassembled, old O-rings removed, and cleaned in an ultrasonic tank. The piston appears smooth. The channels where the O-rings sit also appear undamaged.

Is there anything additional to check, clean, or do before I reassemble it?

thanks in advance.

Too late, but FYI.

Special care should be taken with the piston stem o-ring. It can be difficult to remove, but don't get frustrated or get in a hurry and damage the o-ring groove. Install a HEAVILY lubricated 85-90 duro o-ring (-010) taking the same amount of care. Use a piston bullet or similar tool to prevent nicking the new seal.

Too late, but FYI.

Special care should be taken with the piston stem o-ring. It can be difficult to remove, but don't get frustrated or get in a hurry and damage the o-ring groove. Install a HEAVILY lubricated 85-90 duro o-ring (-010) taking the same amount of care. Use a piston bullet or similar tool to prevent nicking the new seal.
Or just use a good insertion tool :)
How's that for a shameless plug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom