Question O-Rings Vs Quad Rings for Piston Seal on MK10 Clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe if you press a vibrating egg against the piston, as it is inserted in
Where would one even acquire a battery operated remote vibrating egg
I've a couple of mini beard trimmers that vibrate some

You know I use X rings of a similar size, in Bauer PMVs

Screenshot (734).png

No 70

Screenshot (735).png

350 bar +

Well it just struck me as very interesting

Quite sure if I had to pay budget busting prices I would carve one out of wood or whittle down an oring

Hey one of my boosters, O2 uses leather cup seals, just like in your pushbike pump used to be ha ha ha

Well that just strikes me, as hugely more very interesting

Lubricated with glycerine ha ha ha ha ha

Received my share of quads from Rob, I just put one in a Sherwood SR1 that needed a service, didn’t service it just switched the orange HP shaft seal with the quad. The reg needs a new seat so I put a good used one it, now sitting under pressure to see what happens.

Follow up, so far so good, under pressure for 15 hours and seems good.
352D6EBD-B4B6-42AA-BAC3-F30F48DF431C.jpeg
97469541-A5F0-4203-B2EF-A6F8503999AC.jpeg
4A9BC395-6D1B-4212-A24B-26DB9A63C04B.jpeg

IP is steady and the environmental diaphragm hasn’t blown off, every so often I cycle it then shut the valve and wait, I intend to do this for a week or so before pulling it apart to see how the quad looks. It wasn’t easy to install especially with the sherwood piston system so I’ll be assessing installation damage possibilities if any.

Good to hear early reports indicate potential and so far no issues with handling the pressure.
I'm very interested to see how these perform and compare with standard orings in my MK10/MK5s, but it will be a few months before I have time to play. My feedback will have to wait until then, meanwhile looking forward to hearing the results from others.

6 days, holding, I’ve removed it from the tank and will leave it unpressurized for a few days.

one thing I’ve noted while cycling is a fairly hi drop in IP but I don’t know if this were a characteristic of this particular first stage before, I am thinking of pulling it apart and putting the original o ring back and testing it.

IP was a locked in 150 and with a purge or heavy breath it would drop close to 110, the response is rapid and recovery pretty instantaneous.

That's a pretty big drop.
It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when it tears down.
Increased friction on opening might impair piston motion. With a narrower valve gap due to higher friction on valve opening, you might expect to see a bigger drop in dynamic IP.
While the quad-X's potential reservoir for lube in between the leaflets was hoped to be a characteristic that reduces friction, perhaps the upstream leaflet increases friction. I don't know.

I'll play with those Mk5's and see what dynamic performance looks like. I lubed very heavily.

That's a pretty big drop.
It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when it tears down.
Increased friction on opening might impair piston motion. With a narrower valve gap due to higher friction on valve opening, you might expect to see a bigger drop in dynamic IP.
While the quad-X's potential reservoir for lube in between the leaflets was hoped to be a characteristic that reduces friction, perhaps the upstream leaflet increases friction. I don't know.

I'll play with those Mk5's and see what dynamic performance looks like. I lubed very heavily.
That’s sort of the thought plinking around in my head, I expected more recovery while drawing air through it if it was just increased friction. I’m looking forward to your observations with the MK 5.s

Back
Top Bottom