Question O-Rings Vs Quad Rings for Piston Seal on MK10 Clone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A sealed piston first stage sould eliminate the potential for water intrusion into the ring groove.

I agree with you on the 010. I'm contemplating changing that one to a quad as well.
Are quad rings available that are designed to handle gas at 3000-4000 PSI without backup?

Maybe it's time to redo my sealed Mk10 with quad o-rings!
1669268406905.png

I have similar thoughts as Kupu; IMO there is not currently any problem with the piston head seal in MK10s. The x ring might work, but I don't see that it's solving any sort of problem. What I would be interested in is something that reduces extrusion and friction at the HP piston seal. So if there's a high durometer 010 x ring to try in that spot, I'd be happy to do so. What I would do is take a pair of MK10s (I have several including a sealed pair) rebuild one with a standard EPDM duro 90 o-ring, and the other with an x ring and measure IP rise at high supply pressures. If the x ring-equipped MK10 rises less at 3000+ psi supply, I'd say that would be successful.

There's a place called ace seals that offers a 90 duro polyurethane 010; I guess that would be the one to try. I wonder about the lifespan of these o-rings. I'd probably want to dive one in OW for a while before relying on it in a cave.

It's a very interesting idea and thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

Well, quad orings in 2-010 size AND 90 durometer are hard to find! But Precision Associates in Minneapolis are willing to do a run of 150 in Buna-N for $1.15 apiece after shipping, with a 10-week wait for the run. Marcorubber had an MOQ of 1000 for $730.
How many folks want 10 orings to play with, to defray costs?

I'm going to try it in a Mk5, a Mk10, and in my DGX XTRA. Even though the XTRA is an unsealed piston :eek:, it has that second oring next to the ambient chamber that may keep the HP o-ring dry. Might even try it in an Atomic. This could be fun if I don't have to shell out all $175 myself.

@halocline , I've worked with a Ace Seals on some custom stuff for my JJ-CCR. Good folks not too far from me. I'm waiting on a quote from them too! Maybe they'll be less.

My primary reason for asking here if anyone had used a quad ring (or X-ring) in place of the o-ring for the piston seal on a SP MK5 or MK10 was because I had run out of that size o-ring and since it was one of my spare regs I thought I'd give it a try. I never thought it would draw this much interest. But that's a good thing.

If the -017 quad ring installed by @JP_SCUBA has passed a pool test, I take a chance and chip in for 15 pieces of the special order 2-010.

If the -017 quad ring installed by @JP_SCUBA has passed a pool test, I take a chance and chip in for 15 pieces of the special order 2-010.
Kupu... Yes, all went well in the pool. Only have 10 ft. depth but no issues (not that I expected any). I made 3 separate dives and sat on the bottom for 20 min. each time. All good. Now to replace the HP -010 piston shaft O-ring with a Buna 70 Quad/X-ring and do it again. Stay tuned ....

Back
Top Bottom