Scubapro Mantis 2 vs. Aqualung i450t

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m new to diving and considering buying my first dive computer. I looked at starting at the low end with an aqualung i300 or Suunto Zoop but I’m now leaning toward a wrist comp that I can add wireless air when I buy my own reg. I have been circling around the aqualung i450t or the scubapro mantis 2. With out the air integrated they are about the same price depending on the retailer I buy from.

Would love some input from anyone that has used one or both of those wrist comps

I’m new to diving and considering buying my first dive computer. I looked at starting at the low end with an aqualung i300 or Suunto Zoop but I’m now leaning toward a wrist comp that I can add wireless air when I buy my own reg. I have been circling around the aqualung i450t or the scubapro mantis 2. With out the air integrated they are about the same price depending on the retailer I buy from.

Would love some input from anyone that has used one or both of those wrist comps

If you are going towards the AI (Air Integration), then you are much better off considering computers from other vendors that have more features and most likely even better pricing:

1. Scubapro G2
2. Shearwater Perdix AI
2. Ratio Computer (all of their current dive computers are AI)

If you are looking for entry to mid level dive computers without AI, I'd consider the following:

1. Aqua Lung (AL) i300 or the newer version of it, i300C.
2. Oceanic Geo 2 (watch type) or the Veo 2
3. Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer

I'd forget about the Suunto Zoop and the Mantis especially when considering the above offerings.

If you are going towards the AI (Air Integration), then you are much better off considering computers from other vendors that have more features and most likely even better pricing:

1. Scubapro G2
2. Shearwater Perdix AI
2. Ratio Computer (all of their current dive computers are AI)

If you are looking for entry to mid level dive computers without AI, I'd consider the following:

1. Aqua Lung (AL) i300 or the newer version of it, i300C.
2. Oceanic Geo 2 (watch type) or the Veo 2
3. Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix Wrist Dive Computer

I'd forget about the Suunto Zoop and the Mantis especially when considering the above offerings.

Thanks for that answer. The G2 is out of my price range but I hadn’t even consider the Perdix and never looked at ratio. Neither of those brands are sold at any of the dive shops around me. I don’t own my own reg yet so I was thinking AI as something I add later. Maybe something simple like the i300c would be a better and cheaper place to start.

Thanks for that answer. The G2 is out of my price range but I hadn’t even consider the Perdix and never looked at ratio. Neither of those brands are sold at any of the dive shops around me. I don’t own my own reg yet so I was thinking AI as something I add later. Maybe something simple like the i300c would be a better and cheaper place to start.
As long as you are OK with the PZ+ decompression algorithm

The G2, Shearwater and Ratio are in the same neighborhood in terms of price. You don' have to buy the transmitter from the get go. You can buy the wrist unit for now and the transmitter later. But this is if you want to go this route from the beginning. With these three in the market, the offerings from Oceanic and AL aren't even close in reliability , adaptability and features yet they are at ehe same price level if not more.

I think that the i300C is a very good start.

As long as you are OK with the PZ+ decompression algorithm

See here is were my lack of experience comes into play. I know enough to know what you’re talking about but not enough to have an opinion. But isn’t that kind of the root of the discussion between AI and non AI? If you run without AI you are at the whim of the algorithm?

The G2, Shearwater and Ratio are in the same neighborhood in terms of price. You don' have to buy the transmitter from the get go. You can buy the wrist unit for now and the transmitter later. But this is if you want to go this route from the beginning. With these three in the market, the offerings from Oceanic and AL aren't even close in reliability , adaptability and features yet they are at ehe same price level if not more.

I think that the i300C is a very good start.
Oh, BS

See here is were my lack of experience comes into play. I know enough to know what you’re talking about but not enough to have an opinion. But isn’t that kind of the root of the discussion between AI and non AI? If you run without AI you are at the whim of the algorithm?
Nothing to do with AI or not. The deco algorithm controls your NDL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom