Scubapro Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the Scubapro Knighthawk on the "Diving Equipment Authorized for U.S. Navy Use (ANU)" list at URL:

http://www.supsalv.org/anu_page.html

I assume that since the Navy has approved it for purchase for their own use, the Knighthawk must have been put through some Navy testing. Having it on this list speaks well of it.

I'm selling my Scubapro Superhawk NT, which I think is nicer than the Knighthawk, on Ebay right now. It is a very nice BC, but I'm going the BP/Wings route.

Here is my 2 cents. I would also do some research online and then go to your local dive shop to purchase the equipment. You will end up paying more for the equipment, but you will also get a warranty with it if you buy new. Also many dives shops will give you the opportunity to try-before-you-buy. I personally own a ScubaPro KnightHawk and an Oceanic Chute 2. (Both back bladders) and I would not trade my KnightHawk for anything. It fits great and I love it. Also if you ever get into rec diving the KnightHawk will work great for that.

jmorton516
SSI DiveCon in training

Hello, I just bought a ScubaPro Nighthawk and was hoping I could get some feedback on using dual tanks. My questions are:

What additional equipment is needed, what is the cost and how hard is to rig?

Are both tanks being drawn on at once or is their some type of switching over?

Does the additional weight and bulk make a big difference on the surface and at depth? I have 2 steel 80's.

What other concerns should I have about using dual tanks?

I've done about 200 dives in So.Cal and have never used dual tanks. I was thinking that the extra tank would be great for beach dives and especially for bug hunting.

Thanks very much

Doubles and 'Hawk (lady or knight), are mutually exclusive. SP makes the 'Hawks to be used in recreational diving, nothing beyond. As I recall, there's a doubles conversion kit for the S-Tek only. For more air, you'll need a bigger tank. I've used 108 LP steel and 120 LP steels with the lady hawk. (about 8# less lift than the K'Hawk) and while I prefer to dive my doubles, I didn't have any problems. I've used the 108 with a 19cft pony as well without problems, but the 120 with pony was a bit too much for a relaxed fun dive.

Bottom line, if you want to go with doubles, get a backplate and wing setup, or a bc intended for tech diving and doubles. The Dive rite Transpac2 and the Zeagles are probably the most popular with good track records.

Darlene

is ok with "light doubles" (double AL80s or thereabouts)

It has the mounting locations for them....

Don't even think about double LP104s with it!

The holes are 8.25" apart, and with the plastic backpack , you'd need bolts 1.5 to 2" longer, and then the bolts and wingnuts would stab you in the spine.
If you got past all that, the wing is sized such that it's exactly as wide as the tank centers, if you had room for air in the wing, they'd wobble as soon as you deflate to descend, and there's no way to adjust the wing up or down on the harness.

Are you sure you're thinking of the SP Knighthawk, what am I missing here.... I just held my ladyhawk up to a pair of al80's, and not a chance ......

Darlene

I remember when i had my knighthawk there was a tag near the bottom of the plastic BP. It specified the largest single tank and also double tanks. If i remember right it only specified for a very small set of doubles. I think alm 80's would be overkill on this set up.

built for that use, but it'll work to a point.

Better to buy something built for that service.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. It looks like using dual tanks on the Nighthawk is more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll just get a bigger tank!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom