Scubapro Jetfins for Beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BroolStoryCo.

I went from from using the Aeris Velocity fin (NOT split) to jets and there was no extra stress. If you follow through with the pool laps using any fin you will become virtually cramp proof, it's excellent conditioning. Hetting toned through diving is difficult since the idea in general is to move at a gentle pace and conserve energy.

No special skills are involved. In fact you may find skills that were a stretch become easier. The stout blades have less leverage for you to fight.

Nothing last forever, especially rubber, but black does well. I know of Jets that have been in service for decades. Rubber straps are vulnerable, spring straps are a great improvement. You are far more likely to loose a fin in the surf or off a boat than suffer actual failure.

They are negative and won't think twice about sinking. This can be nice to correct floaty feet and to get weight without lead. you pay the piper when you pack to travel, no free lunch.

Pete

OMS Slipstreams and Jetfins are not the same. I use Slipstreams for warm water diving with one cylinder because they are lighter (near neutral in the water) and I need less force in the kicks in those conditions than I do when I'm using jetfins in cold water.

I'm still learning, found the first couple of times with Jetfins a bit of a hassle getting cramps all the time, but got the swing of it in a while. Now, I'd never go back to splitfins or softer blades.

started with the Jetfin for the OW class. Now I love it. I had this 2 dives when the current was so strong... the instructor told me that if I had a split fin.... he probably needed to pull me. he was wearing a plastic composite paddle fin. I guess I believe him.

I dive with atomic split fins and generally love them but know that I don't always have the control that I need, especially when taking photographs. My husband swears by his jet fins but whenever I have tried jet fins, my legs cramp up. Any suggestions for an alternative fin with some of the advantages of jet fins but that are a bit lighter?

I dive with atomic split fins and generally love them but know that I don't always have the control that I need, especially when taking photographs. My husband swears by his jet fins but whenever I have tried jet fins, my legs cramp up. Any suggestions for an alternative fin with some of the advantages of jet fins but that are a bit lighter?

Slipstreams, as mentioned, also Dive Rites. Also, consider the frog kick, probably easier on your legs, and the foundation for the more precise positioning kicks you'll want for photography.

I have tried them a few times and have always gone back to my frog fins. I have had no problem with them while diving, it has always been with surface swims where they did not seem as powerful as my Frog's. I have only tried them 2 or 3 times, not really long enough to modify my surface swim with them. But then again I could just be getting old and set in my ways????

But like I said I did like them during the actual dive.

I started out with Jet fins and had no problem with them as a new diver, you probably won't either.
It would be a good idea to get spring straps at some point.

The Jets are a great fin, I use mine for pool work outs in addition to diving. I just did a 1km swim on Saturday and a 1.2km on Sunday, using various finning kicks. The Jets are a great fin for developing and maintaining leg strength, I love the feel in the water.

-Mitch

Thanks for the information in this thread. It sounds like I will be able to use Jets for snorkelling and even lap swimming, too. Just what I wanted to know :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom