Scubapro Jetfins for Beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am currently completing my Open Water Certification Course with SSI, and I feel very comfortable with Scuba Diving and being in and around the water. I have tried on different styles of fins, board fins, split fins, and eventually had to settle on Aqualung Slingshots. I did some research on them and I found that they weren't ideal in terms of versatility and durability, and I came across a pair of fins that I would consider revered among the diving community, the Scubapro Jetfins. Everyone has heard about why they are so great, but I was wondering, are they right for me? I have just done research, and I plan on renting a pair of XL Scubapro Jetfins for my Open Water dive this weekend, using my Slingshots as backups if anything goes wrong. What I am looking for in a fin...

-Durability (This will be essentially a one time investment)
-Versatility (Can this fin be used to perform the frog kick, or the helicopter kick, as well as the standard modified flutter kick?)
-Fit (Obviously I will know how well these will fit me when I try them out)
-Other things (Can I snorkel with them? Can I do laps in a pool strengthening my legs with them?)

I asked my instructor and he said that they were an "old school fin" and that the industry today is gearing towards a more "comfortable and flexible fin", IE the split fin. I am of a thin build, 5'11, 140 pounds. The one con I found with my research is that these fins are tough to use, and require great leg strength. Any opinions on a starting diver using these fins?

Also, if these fins turn out great like I hope they will, I will outfit them with springs so I don't have to worry about anything breaking.

Please give me your honest and thoughtful opinion, Thank you for your attention!

If you're a fit person buy them. Splits are easier in your legs so if your not of average fitness and you are not diving a lot of strong current then splits would be a better option for you. I have had splits for years and with correct fining technique they are great. If your going to be wreck diving or diving strong currents buy the jets. Everyone I know that has jets loves them including me

With proper technique anyone can use jetfins (nonsplit) just like anyone with any fitness will stir the bottom with split fins. It's a fact I have it on plenty of video. :)

Jets are great but negative in the water - you can do some of the more advanced kicks with the jets, vs. those same kicks being challangining in splits (i.e. back kicks, frog, and flutter), all can be done in split fits but are generally easier in rigid fins.

on your questions
(Jet/Rigid fins only)
- Durability: very durable
-Versatility: Yes easier to do all advanced kicks (frong, helicopter, back, mod flutter, etc.
-Fit: 100% dependant
-Other things (Can I snorkel with them? Can I do laps in a pool strengthening my legs with them?): yes they are fins, i would train with my normal fins at all times.

I use OMS slipstreams which are similar and sold by my LDS.
OMS SLIPSTREAM fin discounts on sale OMS

i concur with rlynch. I bought my jetfins in 1998 and have dived with them around the world, snorkelled with them in the ocean and pool (although open heel swim fins are probably better for that activity). They are still very useable. A good investment for an all around fin.

Play around with the Jet fins and OMS Slipstreams. Buy used, so if you change mind later on, you suffer no loss..

Over the last 40 years or so, no one has gone wrong by buying a pair of Jet Fins. It is, perhaps, the only ScubaPro product that I recommend.

They're heavy. If you plan to travel with your fins you might want to consider something lighter.

-Durability (This will be essentially a one time investment) There's no such thing as a 'one-time investment' in scuba diving - but Jetfins are about as close as you can get. The straps are the only things likely to wear. I'd get spring straps to complement the fins - more durable and practical.

-Versatility (Can this fin be used to perform the frog kick, or the helicopter kick, as well as the standard modified flutter kick?)
Yes, probably the best fins on the market for fine-control maneouvring. It will take practice, but most divers who use them, will state that they provide more instinctive learning of these skills than more flexible, or split-bladed fins.

-Fit (Obviously I will know how well these will fit me when I try them out)
Yep, that's a personal issue. If you didn't get a good match with Jetfins, then the OMS Slipstreams (a virtual copy) offer some variance in fit.

-Other things (Can I snorkel with them? Can I do laps in a pool strengthening my legs with them?)
Jetfins don't offer the easiest workload, but they are very powerful with the energy that you do need to put into them. Military special forces utilise these fins for snorkelling/swimming etc. Look on the plus side... they are good exercise for your legs. Having said that, once you settle down into your diving, you won't often have any cause for putting major effort into your finning... slow and easy... enjoy.

I asked my instructor and he said that they were an "old school fin" and that the industry today is gearing towards a more "comfortable and flexible fin", IE the split fin.
I'd bet he also thinks that BP&W is for tech only. Most of the industry today doesn't really prioritize fine-control techniques... which is an industry failing, rather than a trend to follow. Likewise, the 'industry' would much rather have you buy a more expensive, less durable, set of fins... they really don't like the concept of 'one time investments'.

I am of a thin build, 5'11, 140 pounds. The one con I found with my research is that these fins are tough to use, and require great leg strength. Any opinions on a starting diver using these fins?

There's no reason why these fins aren't suitable for beginners. You only need "great leg strength" if you plan to operate at "great speed". Unless you were planning to push a CCR into a high-flow cave system, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you had any sort of lower limb impediment/injury, then I would suggest Force Fins as an alternative. They rate slightly lower in terms of ease of control and outright power, but are absolutely effortless to fin with, easy to pack/travel and are easier to control (helicopter turn/frog kick etc) than most other standard/split fin types.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom