ScubaPro Jet vs UsDiver Rocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider this, Jets Rock whereas Rockets do not jet. Think about it. Then you will realize Jets win out everytime.

FYI--It is rumored that the original Jet fins were discovered in Spain by founder of Scuba pro, the late Gus della Valle. It is unknown if they were being made there either legally or illegally. Never the less Gus picked up a pair or two, and returned to California to test them.

Concurrently the JYC movie "World with out sun" appeared on the big screen, with divers using full foot Jet fins. It was assumed that US Dives would be importing them--they didn't --they chose the worst fin ever made the "Caravelle."

Scuba Pro began importing the Jets in 1963-4 which had a particular scrip "Jet Fin" on top of the foot pocket--it is unknown were they were imported from, but suspect Spain because of the US and European "Chicken Wars" that was in effect at that time.

A few years later Scuba Pro established a manufacturing/rubber molding facility in Compton California under the direction of Karl Kaiser and began manufactureing copies of Jet fins with out significant modifications to the product.

That was in the Mid 1960s and it has remained the same to this day. The Jet Fin had immediate and huge sucess as a product and was soon copied but never equalled by most of the other manufactures, because of the patentable feature "thrust acceration channel."

It is possibly has the longest production run of any fin made in the USA and certainly is in the world if the time that it was produced in France is a componet of the longivity calculations. The Jets Fin still has it's fans and certainly it's detractors as evidenced by this thread. It is the Model T or the VW of the dive fin world..

DM

I had major surgery on my left foot Fusion of the 1-3 metatarsals add 9 screws some cadaver bone and BAM my left foot bends no more. It is uncomfortable to find good shoes much less fins that wont bother me. For me the Twin Jets from ScubaPro fit like a glove, as a matter a fact they are more comfortable than anything i wear. That being said i may have a "special" problem with my foot, but everything else hurt me. Fortunate for me the dive shop where i bought the fins has a "try it before you buy it" program. Plus Lifetime warranty..including the plastic buckles...wow. I wear a 9 1/2 size shoe forget what kind of bootie and Medium twin jet.

Guess it's all in what you get used to.

I bought my first pair of Rockets in 1971. I have a large and small pair now that I use with different booties.

Don't have experience with the Jets so I can't compare the two but I've used the Rockets for years and have no complaints.

I recently acquired a pair of Force Fins and will be giving them a test drive in the Caymans on our next trip. Who knows ...the Force Fins may win out.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
Guess it's all in what you get used to.

I bought my first pair of Rockets in 1971. I have a large and small pair now that I use with different booties.

Don't have experience with the Jets so I can't compare the two but I've used the Rockets for years and have no complaints.

I recently acquired a pair of Force Fins and will be giving them a test drive in the Caymans on our next trip. Who knows ...the Force Fins may win out.

'Slogger

I had a friend in the not so distant past that made this same trasition in fins and immediately saved over 20% on air consumption. He said that they felt weird, but air consumption on a diver with over 3000 dives cant lie. The fins were the only change made and he has never looked back.

WesTexDiver:
I had a friend in the not so distant past that made this same trasition in fins and immediately saved over 20% on air consumption. He said that they felt weird, but air consumption on a diver with over 3000 dives cant lie. The fins were the only change made and he has never looked back.
=====================================

Thanks for that note. I've had my eyes on the Force Fins for years. I am a 2000+ diver and pretty set in my ways. It will be hard to retire my ROCKETS but if the Force Fins pan out for me ...well, the rest will be history, as the saying goes. I carry a camera when I dive and like getting in close. Long blade fins have never appealed to me regardless of their advertised efficency and apparent popularity among recreational divers. I've always liked the simplicity of the ROCKETS and hope that the Force Fins are the next step for this aging diver.

'Slogger

Back
Top Bottom