ScubaPro Jet vs UsDiver Rocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm shopping for a good reliable pair of fins to use drysuit diving, I hear so much raving about the Scubapro Jet Fins, and I was passing through a couple of LDS looking for them and saw US Diver Rocket Fins, which to my eye seemed quite similar.
Since I have never dived with either of them I am not aware of the differences I was hoping someone could explain this to me, are they really as similar as they seem at first glance? Thanks alot.

They do look a great deal alike, but they are totally different fins. Jets are my all time favorites. I'd almost rather not dive than to use Rockets.

the USD fins totally suck. It is unbeleivable how much of a difference there is between the 2 fins.

Can't go wrong with SP Jets. I've used them for a while now and they are simply good solid performing fins. I got mine online from Liesure Pro.

EER

There is a difference in all fins...

The Jet fin was designed in France by George Buchant (S) for the French navy in the late 1950s. They are a timeless well proven design that has never been equalled by their immitators

They have several unique features;

1) the adjustable fins strap---when the jets were introduced to the American market in 1963 by Scuba Pro, most diving manuals and the TWO instructor organizations of that era , LA County and NAUI were strongly opposed to adjustable fins and for many good reasons.

2) the patentable feature on a jet fin is the overlapping of the opening of the fin slots Ided as "thrust accerating channels. And indeed they are. This is the major difference of the Jet fin design.

Rockets, 707, and Imperials etal were poor copies of the Jets and didnot have the opening: the thrust accerating channels. They are and will always be stiff fins with holes cut in them to mimic the Jet fins.

In several published tests of the era the Jets were superior to all immitators but not the long thin stiff blade Duck Feet, which are currently being reproduced but are generally too stiff for the candy divers of today.

So go with Jets as a good all around fin.

Cheers from California,

SDM

I own XL Jet Fins, Rocket fins, Turtles, XXL Jet Fins and XS Scuba Power fins. Do yourself a HUGE favor and try before you buy. If you can't borrow or rent them, then at least bring your drysuit (or rock boots with really thick sock) to the store and try on the fins first. Despite their popularity, many people can not fit their drysuit boots into an XL jet fin and many find the XXL Jet or Turtle way too big.

The merits of the individual fins become meaningless when they don't fit.

Check out fellow scubaboarder Kidspot's page for additional info:
http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/

Well ty for all the fast advice everyone. I wear size 10 DUI Rockboots, does anyone wear that size, or have any insight into what size of Jet Fins I should be looking at, if my size is even useable with Jet Fins? Thanks again in advance.

Something else to consider, when I tried the jet fins with the stock straps I did not like them at all, the fit just felt wrong. Same fins with spring straps were much better. Don't know why but something to consider. This was with size 10 White's Rock Boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom