Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belce:
Jet fins really kick up the bottom worse than if I did the worm on ground, no wonder you need to frog kick.

You kick up the bottom wearing Jets. No fin kicks up the bottom. Fins are merely tools. In my opinion Jet Fins are the best tools available. Your opinion differs.

Belce:
With my twin jet max splits I can flutter kick very nice an inch above deck and leave only bubbles

Unless there's nothing to stir up, it is physically impossible to use a regular flutter kick with any fin an inch above the deck without stiring up the bottom.

Belce:
I also found frog kick and helicopter turn better with twin jet max than I could with jets.

Not a surprise considering you make at least 500 dives and I'm sure you've made many of them with your twin jet max fins and you only used Jets one day. There's always a period of learning when introducing new equipment.

I remember diving in the Flower Gardens with a buddy, him with Twin Jets, me with Jets. One dive we traded fins. On that dive, his air consumption sucked and so did mine. Neither of us got beyond that learning period.

Jet fins really kick up the bottom worse than if I did the worm on ground

Fins don't kick up the bottom... divers do.

It's obvious then, that fins are for moving fins, and flippers are for moving

you.

But to get the most out of flippers you

must also have these.

Are there any pictures of this in use? :confused:

I think I was quite clear in the first line that this was about my first experience with them. For those that thanked me for my indepth testing and experience with them or suggested that I take on other testing projects for them, I have a very different understanding of long term or indepth and I also don't use junk or test it.

As far as kicking stuff up, technique is important and I don't doubt there are changes that I will have to address to get the most out of these fins. Fins are like the transmission attached to a piston engine, they convert up down motion into forward momentum. (They do other things as well). In a flutter kick, jets load in the up kick and unload in the down kick and while they generate more force than split fins do, they generate way more down force as well. If I do a modified flutter kick from just off the bottom, they aren't two feet up and they aren't working as strongly as they would in a normal flutter kick. And while I don't do what is considered a normal modified flutter <knees bent> when I coast just above the bottom, my position prohibits a standard flutter kick as well for my split fin example, but that was apparent in the description. I would be happy to demo....

One of the reasons for transtioning to jet fins from splits is to start training in over head envirnoments, I hadn't mentioned it before, also I played front row rugby, race bicycles so leg strength or endurance is kinda well looked after.

I did 5 dives this weekend with jet fins. At the surface I like to rest back inclined or swim on my back and I find it harder to get feet under me to start a descent than before. If someone has a suggestion to make that easier, would be apperciated.

Loading frog kick with splits, it was mentioned that when loading the soft flaps don't stay in plane. The splits I use don't have soft flaps. And that was indicated at the start as well.

I did this post in this manner because I wanted to get a response, I think I have dealt with many if not all comments and if I haven't dealt with yours it is missed accidentally or intentionally.

Thank yopu all for your responses.

I did this post in this manner because I wanted to get a response...

Belce, I know it's not right for me to tell you how to post, but.... this seems a bit manipulative. Now, I don't have a lot of knowledge to pass on on the subject of Jet Fins, so you would not have missed my contribution in any case; but if I did, the way you posted to sort of... control us... would make me less inclined to respond with a considered reply (they take time and thought).

On the other hand, if you had just explained what you were up to and what problems you were trying to solve (rather more like you did in your last post), I bet you would have received some really good tips from people. I know there are some Jet Fin pros here who would probably love to share their knowledge with someone who seemed interested.

....................... At the surface I like to rest back inclined or swim on my back and I find it harder to get feet under me to start a descent than before. If someone has a suggestion to make that easier, would be apperciated..................

I find that when swimming on the surface (on my back) a flutter at max power will really move you forward. Er, backward.

Motor around on your back for a while until you get it squared away. Your strong legs are propelling into a horizontal position. Stop kicking and all will be fine.

-BTW, what made you think that you would get a response by doing a paddle-fin smackdown on SB?:rofl3:

I use both best with a jet on the left foot and a
twin on the right if following clockwise contours.

stock-vector-hypertrophied-huge-balls-bulging-eyes-63437518.jpg

No pictures but
I heard that this, came with these. :confused:

Jets are too broad and twins far too broad.

Even though they are of identical width.

I have tried MANY different styles over the years and ALL of them reconfirm my love of the JETFIN. The basic style is almost 50 years old and they are still the best thing out there to get you through the water in any condition you find yourself in. I use them for EVERYTHING from a lazy afternoon snorkel to deep, overhead environment, TECH diving&#8230;..
All the &#8220;new&#8221; technology going into making fins easier to use and more efficient is marketing B.S. to get divers to buy gear.
Split fins don&#8217;t get me where I need to be. PERIOD. Waste of time as far as I&#8217;m concerned.
Scubapro really did an amazing job making a fin that will literally last you a lifetime. In 15+ years of diving, I have only seen one pair break and it involved a wicked current and a customer that jammed an XL hard sole boot into a size LG Jetfin foot cup.
I&#8217;ve heard complaints about leg fatigue when using Jets&#8230;. If your legs cramp while using them, it&#8217;s not the fin you should be worrying about but your lack of physical fitness in which case you should look into investing into a DPV.
At the end of the day, whatever is &#8220;comfortable&#8221; for you is what&#8217;s right. Just don&#8217;t ask me to help tow you to the boat or drag you through a current.
Jetfins for life.

turn your feet sideways or do a half back scull at the surface and you'll be vertical. Or just sit and and float down. One thing you'll learn in overheard classes is everything is nice and slow, no races.
You won't ever use flutter kicks in an overhead class so you may just want to stop using it now. Your modified flutter will HAVE to be with knees bent up. Just not an option. Jets have almost as much up propulsion as they do downward, the splits just direct more backwards which leads in a less efficient kick. You'll get it, just don't make excuses. There is a reason split fins are allowed in overhead classes, and it's not because we are all too stubborn to test them out. They just don't work for what we need.
Keep truckin, and watch videos on youtube of propulsion techniques with jet style fins and you'll get there eventually. May want to take a primer or "fundies" type course to go over proper propulsion techniques before you go into a cave or wreck class so you can get more out of that than just the "basic" stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom