Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to diving but enjoy getting a work out and moving fast in the water, the first fins I bought were some Deep See Split Fins which didn't do the job for me as I felt as I was kicking and wasn't really doing anywhere.

So I decided I wanted to go with something different I bought some Zeagle Raptor Fins which are designed for the spear fisherman in mind, these were very good at getting me around but I felt as though the length hindered me sometimes.

I then tried a pair of my friends atomic split fins which he swore were the best thing since sliced bread...I ran into a little bit of a problem I once again wasn't moving.

Then I saw a post on here for the ScubaPro Jet Fin it was a pair of large fins for $10 I said hey why not its only ten bucks...BEST TEN BUCKS I EVER SPENT, I move around the water so fast in these and I feel like I was working only half as hard as I was with long spearing fins. So now I own three pairs of the scubapro jetfins a medium for my wife and an extra set of larges.

I feel as though if I use split fins and kick I am wasting energy because it takes twice as many kicks to get to the same place, in my opinion split fins are for people with weak legs.

Thanks Sax, I frog kick already quite well with the scubapro twin jet max and am pretty good with that already. Thank you for the advice to get feet down at the surface.

Apperciated.

I have a fundies course scheduled in the Summer, wanted to acquire, get used to and learn some before I did that course.

With regards to split fins, I have almost 3 years with them and hundreds of dives, they work. If I wasn't looking at overhead dives I would have no reason to switch

Well actually physics can't let us lie about how fins work.

flutter kick splt fins for the win, single best go forward regardless of what you head in to.

I'll be the first to agree that there are better fins for flutter kicking straight forward than Jets. I knocked two minutes off my DM mask/snorkel swim by switching to SeaWing Novas. However, with the exception of swimming into high flow caves, I just don't have any reason to do any prolonged fast swimming on scuba, whereas I have occasion to use my alternate kicks on every single, open water or overhead dive.

TSandM

I actually find that split fins are very poor for surface swims and that the jets are much better. I have used the the SeaWing Novas as well and they are a great fin.

I remember reading your post regarding those fins in a thread that was mostly negative about them and mainly due to their appreance. It is one of the reasons why I value your opinion on this forum, it is based on your experience.

Needing to be able to do different kick styles is one of the advantages of Jet fins, and also why I am interested in them. Understanding how a fin works and how it might impact your diving can be best shown by doing a dive and then removing your fins and trying to move around a bit without them. Kinda like racing the engine in neutral.

Maybe he was going to ask if the Jet Fins would match his jacket BC. ;-)

...............I hadn't mentioned it before, also I played front row rugby, race bicycles so leg strength or endurance is kinda well looked after.

I was a wing forward and I'm finding it hard to imagine the burly props or hookers I played rugby with racing bicycles! :wink:

Are you a burly cyclist or a very slim front row rugby player? This might help me visualize your back finning and silt worming before you post a demo video.:D

It is not the gears, it is the legs and lungs and heart that turn the wheels they say in cycling, same with fins and scuba, you can only push as much water as you have the legs, lungs and heart to move it.

If you cannot move the Jet Fins as easily as you did the softer split thingies I suspect it may not be the fins.

N

Back
Top Bottom