Scubapro Go-Sport vs Go-Sport Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw this picture of this Go Sport foot pocket starting to collapse.
1719492797092.png

Photo by @lowwall

Saw this picture of this Go Sport foot pocket starting to collapse.
View attachment 848126
Photo by @lowwall
Depends on how they're stored. And they seem to be relatively resilient if you give em proper support during storage, or leave em in a hot car or even out in the sun for a bit on a hot day, they will re-shape.

Quick Question - any downsides to hanging the fins using the heel strap the entire year or will they cause a gradual weakening of sorts? I don’t have wall hooks right now that can use the holes at the tip of the fins…
Coat hanger hook through the hole at the tip of the fins and then hung?

If you are okay with only black or orange then get the Gorrillas. .... If you want blue, yellow, pink, white or whatever then just get the standard fin.
Wonder why they don't make the Go-rilla Sport flippers in colors.

The Go-Sports are monoprene rubber just like any number of similar fins, Eddy Fin, my other favorite, for example. I have run over my Go-Sports with my truck, not once but twice.

As to colors, Scubapro has always offered Gorrilla versions in orange and black only. If you want colors then you have to make do with the standard versions.

The misshapen foot pocket is due to incorrect storage in a hot environment. Nothing unusual there. I use the plastic retainers and stuff the pockets with my booties and, egads, leave them incorrectly stored in my dive bag and mine are just fine as were my standard Go-Sports previous.

The Go-Sports are monoprene rubber just like any number of similar fins, Eddy Fin, my other favorite, for example. I have run over my Go-Sports with my truck, not once but twice.

I think this gives the impression that, one, monoprene is rubber and, two, that Eddy fins are made of monoprene.

Disclaimer: I am not a materials engineer.

I believe that monoprene is, basically, plastic, not rubber. ScubaPro says the Go Sports are 100% Monprene. Other companies say their fins are monoprene. I reckon it's the same thing and just a difference of a trademarked name versus a common use name? Dive Rite says their XT fins are a "monoprene blend". I think they are monoprene for the side pieces and rubber for the center piece.

I also believe that Eddy fins (as well as ScubaPro Jet fins, Hollis F1 and F1 LT fins, and a number of others) are rubber with no monoprene. That is why they are so durable. They are VERY durable.

Yes, you are right, monoprene technically is not rubber. Most rubbers today are actually not rubber. I was being too generic. What ever polymer or material my Eddies Flippers are they are not real rubber. They are only slightly heavier than Go-Sports and feel much the same.

Still available ribbed, though, right?
Your mind wanders, huh :daydream:.

I have some new manufacture Voit UDT Frog Fins. They are made from natural rubber smoked the old fashion way. They smell like charcoal, they exude a wax that oxidizes white. They are mint, in the box and available. Size large. Super power fins. I think the Seabees may have used them or similar fins at one time, not sure about that. But they are real rubber. Not a technopolymer like nearly everything today. If somebody wants a real natural rubber fin, anyways, I got one pair in stock! LOL.

The perfect design deserves a perfect material. The eddy flippers are molded with a XXX material to ensure they're the right stiffness for maximum power, lightweight enough for travel, and really comfortable to dive.

The Slipstreams I just sold, were monoprene and like the Eddy Flippers were considerably lighter than Jets and very similar to the Go-Sport in weight (slightly heavier, mostly due to the spring straps vs bungee straps).

The Accels are monoprene:

So whatever "material XXX" is it is not natural rubber or a synthetic rubber of similar composition to Jets. Hmmm, "Material XXX," could be a title for a B rated Sci-Fi Thriller :shocked:. I guess the formula is stored in the secret salt mine in Kansas with the Arc and the aliens and the formula for Coca Cola.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom