Scubapro G2 or Perdix AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a shearwater, and stumbled into a g2, so I now own both and I dive both.
In terms of readability, the shearwater wins hands down.
For customizing the screen to show what you really want to see, shearwater wins.
For batteries, it's a personal choice (replace or recharge). I'm happy with both computers.
If you are doing repeat single tank dives with different nitrox amounts, the G2 saves you like 10 seconds in switching time.

I left my compass for a dive I didn't need it for, and found the shearwater to be better than my physical compass. I now use it before turning to my actual compass. The G2 compass works, but is not even close to the smooth movement of the shearwater.

I'm very happy with the G2, and I bring it on every dive, but if someone offered to trade me for a second shearwater instead, I could make the decision in my sleep.

so i tried out the Perdix and i think it is definitely one of the best computers out there. i do have 2 things i SLIGHTLY dislike about it, although it is purely subjective. 1) i just miss an audible alarm/warning 2) i prefer seeing exact numerical figures for my total desat time instead fo the chart, then again i may be nitpicking but thanks to everyone here. no regrets at all in purchasing the perdix!

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me the settings on how conservative i set my perdix, like the 30/70 or 45/90 etc etc those figures, what are they about and what do you guys use and why?

Can someone explain to me the settings on how conservative i set my perdix, like the 30/70 or 45/90 etc etc those figures, what are they about and what do you guys use and why?

There is not a quick answer. Alert Diver | Gradient Factors
This video is very good as well:

Last edited:
What are your reasons for preferring the G2?

The biggest thing was the ability to store photos. Instead of my clumsy slate writing im able to store the photos of the cave itself or a wreck. Then i can go back and access the photos at the bottom. No trying to read my jibber jabber with a light why fighting current and keeping an eye on the rouge buddy in front of me. The ability to put tx’s on multiple tanks. I make some deeper dives then i should for my age however having that feature is nice. Then from a durability standpoint id once again go with the g2. Ive dropped my share of tanks on both. I havent had a computer since the predator that ive liked since this. 2 totally different price points. The heart monitor on the g2 imo is a waste. I have no use for that and diving.

What are your reasons for preferring the G2?
I chose the G2 over the Perdix AI because I consider the air time one of the most valuable benefits of AI. Should you enter deco the G2 with include the deco stops in the air time calculation, whereas the Perdix (from my understanding removes the air time altogether when you enter deco. That was my strongest reason.

Also being an older diver I’m more aware of cardiac issues and I do like the HR monitoring. I’m not sure how important the algorithm alteration according to workload and skin temp is but I do like to monitor my heart rate during the dive.

On a more minor level, having dived the Galileo Sol several years I’m used to the Uwatec terminology with Profile Dependent deep stops, setting the MB level and level stops, so it was an easy transition for me.

On the other hand the Scubapro desktop software is really bad and barely usable, to the point where I use Diving Log 6 to download my dives from the G2. And from my reading, the Sherwater support is much better than Scubapro’s.

This might not be that right forum to ask but just in case someone knows the answer, what is the difference of the ZHL 8 + and 16 algorithims?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom