Scubapro G2 or Perdix AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree on the transmitter issue. In my family dive group we have several Oceanic, Aeris and Perdix AI computers and even a Tusa. One or two backup transmitters on the boat or back at the hotel or apartment or whatever covers all of us in the event someone has a transmitter failure. And I take a small wristwatch-form backup computer while diving that shares the same transmitter as my perdix. I would be reluctant at this point to replace or add a computer that required a different transmitter. By the way, anyone looking for a good deal on a Liquivision Lynx?

If SP wanted to get really smart, they would make their new computer "dual mode" where you could have it work with the SP transmitters or the PPS (Shearwater, Oceanic, etc.) transmitters.

If SP wanted to get really smart, they would make their new computer "dual mode" where you could have it work with the SP transmitters or the PPS (Shearwater, Oceanic, etc.) transmitters.

More real estate on the existing circuit board, more money, etc or ?

Unlikely as this would probably require a license payment to PPS and the admission that their competitor has a product that is at least equivalent to theirs.

will be making a difficult choice soon between the Perdix AI or SP G2, your inputs would help a lot. I’m currently a DM planning on taking Tech soon. Thanks guys!

Hi DiversL,

I hope you have not bought the SP G2 yet. Buy the Perdix.

Buy the Perdix because of the owner/developer of the system. Bruce and Lynn Partridge are incredible people. I dived with them on Bonaire. At dinner they told us their Shearwater story to rapped attention. We kept asking more questions and they gave us the entire story. A true Canadian success story.

Shearwater's first year failure rate is .4 percent (4 tenths of one percent). The industry standard is 4%. Bruce and Lynn have replaced entire lots of computers not because they had an issue, because Bruce felt that "they were not good enough."

Some of us were able to test drive the Perdix while on Bonaire. It was awesome. User friendly screen layout and so easy to use. My wife and I have had good luck with our Oceanic computers, but the Perdix is definitely better.

Good luck,
markm

Unlikely as this would probably require a license payment to PPS and the admission that their competitor has a product that is at least equivalent to theirs.
come on, a pressure transmitter is not rocket science... the only difference can be in the reliabilty of the transmitter and the pressure sensor accuracy,
license fee is reasonable and could be compensated from larger market
(my 2c)

come on, a pressure transmitter is not rocket science... the only difference can be in the reliabilty of the transmitter and the pressure sensor accuracy,
license fee is reasonable and could be compensated from larger market
(my 2c)
And the quoted bit is the part which appears to have been the main stumbling block to AI transmitters to date - which the PPS (Oceanic) transmitter appears to have successfully overcome. Hence the reason why it is the model that Shearwater (and others) have picked to pair with as opposed to any other manufacturers.
License fee I feel would be a lesser issue than the tacit admission of their competitors products quality that building in the relevant code would give. I am quite sure that SP would rather spend a large sum of money developing their own than admit the PPS transmitter is the best available.

To me, it's only admission that the PPS product is one that customers want. Not an admission that it's better.

If they supported the PPS transmitter and not their own, then yeah, that could be interpreted as admission that it's better - but it's still really only an admission that it's the one people want. And the reason people want it is because it works and it's becoming near-universal. That doesn't mean it's better. It just means it's good enough.

Anyway, I do agree that it is very unlikely SP will offer support for the PPS transmitter any time soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom