Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If only there was a way to "bypass" these issues and find a metal second that could passively reduce inhalation resistance without increasing tendency to freeflow.

It could look like this:
Mares_abyss_regulator.jpg

[ducks]

I wish Greg Barlow was still contributing here. We could then have an American representing the Italian Mares versus Angelo Farina representing the American SP.

Well the light dimmer would be a solid state device to adjust the terminal voltage, the auto transformer is also a device to adjust the voltage (variable AC transformer), universal motor like a DC motor with a commutator you can adjust the the speed

Yes, and you obviously know much more about it than I do. However, I believe most plug in vacuum cleaners have an A/C motor. I was given to understand that in order to change the speed of a universal A/C motor, the frequency (hertz) needed to be changed or damage to the motor (due to amp draw) would occur.

See why I deleted my post?

Sorry to stir up trouble with my little dimmer. If it helps, it's a very cheap vacuum cleaner.
And I've never seen any smoke :D

Yes, and you obviously know much more about it than I do. However, I believe most plug in vacuum cleaners have an A/C motor. I was given to understand that in order to change the speed of a universal A/C motor, the frequency (hertz) needed to be changed or damage to the motor (due to amp draw) would occur.

See why I deleted my post?
A universal motor is an AC motor just happens to have a commutator, used in things like a blender when you push all those buttons your changing the voltage. If it wasn’t a universal motor but a simple single phase AC motor you would not be able to adjust the speed in this fashion.

Sorry to stir up trouble with my little dimmer. If it helps, it's a very cheap vacuum cleaner.
And I've never seen any smoke :D
I would imagine that the speed you’re running it at is not a great deal below the motors base speed, and in combination with your ball valve is how you’re controlling the vacuum.

If only there was a way to "bypass" these issues and find a metal second that could passively reduce inhalation resistance without increasing tendency to freeflow.

It could look like this:
View attachment 580241

[ducks]

I wish Greg Barlow was still contributing here. We could then have an American representing the Italian Mares versus Angelo Farina representing the American SP.
Right I forgot about this particular regulator, can you send me one to test? Lol

It could look like this:
View attachment 580241

[ducks]

??? The 109-156 were manufactured here in Italy at Casarza Ligure. I visited the factory in 1977, where I was trained about assembling and tuning them, and servicing them periodically.
Many other Scubapro models are Italian. You know that the letter at beginning of the regulator name is meaning the engineer who designed it:
A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia
From the name I guess that only D and G are American. However, the D series has always been manufactured here, at least since D-300.
How do you see where each item was manufactured? Usually on modern ones, in plastic, it is engraved in the mold, so you can read "made in Italy" or "made in USA". The latest D420, for example, are all Made in Italy.
Coming back on topic to the old brass-chrome models, the way of understanding where they were manufactured is in the two small screws closing the ring around the reg. In Italian-made samples these two small screws are metric (M3x0.5, for being precise).
In the US-made samples these screws are in Imperial units, a bit larger, they do not screw in Italian regs.

Last note: saying that Scubapro is American and Mares is Italian has little meaning in the modern global world. Mares was owned by AMF since the seventies, and Scubapro-Uwatec is actually a company registered in Germany, at least here in Europe, despite the factory is in Italy... In the US, it is known that the control shares of Scubapro-USA are owned by Johnson - Outboard Marine Corp. (aka OMC)... But who owns Johnson? Bombardier, who is Canadian!
It is a complex and intricated mess of shares, and it becomes really difficult to understand who is owner, and if a company is of a given nationality...

Very interesting history thanks for posting. Wondering with the clamp screw heads can you tell where made?

Back
Top Bottom