Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would respectfully disagree. It varies from brand to brand, but it's a subtly designed feature.
I was referring to the 109-156. I have no experience with other brands/model...

Vacuum cleaner
I do the same thing. Great way to save on air for dynamic flow measurements, compared with the Venturi vacuum generator in the Regulator Savvy/ScubaTools model. Just hook a small vac (I use a cheap tiny model Home Depot shop vac) to the top of the rotameter, and you've easily got 20SCFM flow to test with. A little noisy, but in my experience, no less noisy than that Venturi vacuum, which blows through an AL80 in a couple of minutes. You can see the old 1/4" copper line which used to feed the Venturi, disconnected at the top of the rotameter.
20200127_181855.jpg

20200127_181803.jpg

The vacuum is on a dimmer switch, which makes it easy to change suck, and I added an air bleed (the orange valve) at the top for fine tuning of suction, especially at low flows. With the vacuum tucked out of sight under the table, and inside a box, noise is pretty minimal.

When they free flow, they are out of tune, in my opinion. These regs should not free flow due to Venturi only, in air at atmospheric pressure...

Angelo, just to be clear. We are talking about out of the water, out of the mouth, airflow unimpeded. Venturi freeflow is a benchmark every high performance regulator should be tuned to meet. It goes without saying with the mouthpiece in place and the regulator in use, it should not freeflow due to venturi or otherwise.

I do the same thing. Great way to save on air for dynamic flow measurements, compared with the Venturi vacuum generator in the Regulator Savvy/ScubaTools model. Just hook a small vac (I use a cheap tiny model Home Depot shop vac) to the top of the rotameter, and you've easily got 20SCFM flow to test with. A little noisy, but in my experience, no less noisy than that Venturi vacuum, which blows through an AL80 in a couple of minutes. You can see the old 1/4" copper line which used to feed the Venturi, disconnected at the top of the rotameter.
View attachment 580169
View attachment 580170
The vacuum is on a dimmer switch, which makes it easy to change suck, and I added an air bleed (the orange valve) at the top for fine tuning of suction, especially at low flows. With the vacuum tucked out of sight under the table, and inside a box, noise is pretty minimal.
Nice can you vary 5, 8, 10 CFM?

I have a variac I’ll go into the office tomorrow and pick it up and give it a shot sounds like a great idea don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier. Thanks Rob

Can we be the judge of that I don’t see what you deleted.

That's right. :-D I don't want to be judged as my memory plays tricks on me. But judge if you want. My post had to do with the suitability of a light dimmer for use on a vacuum cleaner motor. Somewhere hiding in the cobwebs of my training is the thought that such a device is not compatible with certain motors. Induction motor/Universal motor...it's all a blur now. If it works, it works-but if it overheats and blows your legs off, don't coming running to me for sympathy. ;-)

That's right. :-D I don't want to be judged as my memory plays tricks on me. But judge if you want. My post had to do with the suitability of a light dimmer for use on a vacuum cleaner motor. Somewhere hiding in the cobwebs of my training is the thought that such a device is not compatible with certain motors. Induction motor/Universal motor...it's all a blur now. If it works, it works-but if it overheats and blows your legs off, don't coming running to me for sympathy. ;-)
Well the light dimmer would be a solid state device to adjust the terminal voltage, the auto transformer is also a device to adjust the voltage (variable AC transformer), universal motor like a DC motor with a commutator you can adjust the the speed of course you change the speed/torque characteristics but it will work. Problem is the slower the motor the less cooling because most of the time these little motors are cooled with a fan attached to the rotor. Newer drills and devices now use what we call Brushless AC or DC motors were they use electronics to do the commutating without a mechanical commutator. With this setup your able to reduce the speed but keep the torque. Some drills will be series wound to maintain torque but that’s a whole different discussion.

Back
Top Bottom