Scubapro AIR 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't pull the diaphragm and clip when working on my AIR1s, having decided the hassle is not worth it as long as everything checks out in that area.

First thing I do when picking up a used AIR1 is vacuum suck test, if it passes (meaning I don't have to remove the dive/pre-dive switch) it goes straight to the rebuild phase and fails go into the "get around to it one day box". Don't think I have had one pass with missing sticker.

@rsingler - do these (Air1) pass a vacuum suck test? I can't get this one to do that. I did not pull the diaphragm/clips when I rebuilt it, and wonder if there is an issue in there? Part of my thought was the missing dive/pre-dive sticker. Thoughts?
Disclaimer; I am neither an Air1/Pilot/D-series guy, nor rsingler.... but looking at the diagram I would bet a dollar that your missing dive/predive sticker is part if not all of the problem. As mentioned up thread, the only o-ring on the switch is between the outer switch and the case. So the air can follow the tabs of the inner switch through the outer switch (bypassing the o-ring). A piece of cellophane tape as a temporary replacement for the sticker should allow you to test the theory.

Respectfully,

James

Mine don’t pass a vacuum test like a conventional reg but have no leak issue in the water, all have the switch intact with sticker. I have removed the diaphragm clip a few times, it is something to avoid for sure because putting it back is something more suited to an experienced micro surgeon. The diaphragm clip is something I had contemplated a redesign of but for now, I’ll just leave it alone.

James PM your address again and I’ll send the air 1 and a converted pilot so you will have both to contemplate, if you want to try a ready to dive one I will send one of those too.

Mine don’t pass a vacuum test like a conventional reg but have no leak issue in the water, all have the switch intact with sticker. .

I have a few that are completely sealed and hold vacuum when inhaling with hose inlet closed.

@rsingler - do these (Air1) pass a vacuum suck test? I can't get this one to do that. I did not pull the diaphragm/clips when I rebuilt it, and wonder if there is an issue in there? Part of my thought was the missing dive/pre-dive sticker. Thoughts?
Mine does that too, slight leak during vacuum test as there is no sticker. Once I put a finger over the switch, bingo, full seal on vacuum test.

FYI

Air 1 new switch backplate on eBay also one service kit available.

FYI

Air 1 new switch backplate on eBay also one service kit available.
Well I'll be damned. If anyone would have it, it would be cajunshoppe. He's the son of an old Scubapro LDS owner who died, and bit by bit he's parting out the shop. I've bought stuff from him in the past. Prices are high, but he's got very rare pieces.

There's a guy in Wisconsin selling a new Air 1 diaphragm too.
I've got dozens of Air 1 diaphragms, if anyone needs one. It's the Pilot diaphragms with the smaller center hole that I'd kill for. You can use an Air1 diaphragm, but it's always worried me the way it attaches to the center post.

I've got dozens of Air 1 diaphragms, if anyone needs one. It's the Pilot diaphragms with the smaller center hole that I'd kill for. You can use an Air1 diaphragm, but it's always worried me the way it attaches to the center post.
That’s amazing! Good to know in case I put a hole in mine. Thank goodness for you guys stockpiling these rare parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom