Scubapro AF first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking of buying a DIN Mk25 AF with an s600 from one of the european online dealers. It appears that all scubapro first stages now have TIS to avoid freezing (and free-flows), but I can't find what exactly the "AF" does to make them even better for cold water use.

Can anyone explain what the difference between a 1st stage with and without AF?

Any reason I shouldn't buy the AF version here in the states?

YES, I am fully aware that buying a reg from someone other than an authorized US dealer means that I won't get free warranty replacement parts. But I would rather save $200 now and pay an extra $25 a year.

To my knowledge, the addition of the AF denotes the finned section on the first stage for extended heat transfer surface area, versus the non-finned body section of the MK 15, MK 20, and earlier MK 25. There are differing reports on the utility of adding this extended heat transfer surface area.

Look at a pic of a MK 20 vs. a MK 25 AF and you'll see the difference.

http://www.divernet.com/gear/dtst699.htm

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0503divertests.shtml#mk25

Scubapro or the dealer you're looking to purchase from can go into deeper detail on any internal changes that may have also been associated with AF vs. TIS without AF.

All Mk 25's made after May 2003 have the comlete AF kit. This consists of the entire TIS system including the composite piston and piston head cover, mirror polished piston stem, the rubber piston stem boot, teflon coated mainspring and the finned swivel cap.

The finned cap was the last "AF" addition and it's presence pretty much assures the Mk 25 is an "AF" version. Since all SP MK 25's made since May 2003 have the "AF" kit there is not really a Mk 25 AF model per se, just MK 25's, MK 25 T's and Mk 25 SA's.

DA Aquamaster:
All Mk 25's made after May 2003 have the comlete AF kit. This consists of the entire TIS system including the composite piston and piston head cover, mirror polished piston stem, the rubber piston stem boot, teflon coated mainspring and the finned swivel cap.

The finned cap was the last "AF" addition and it's presence pretty much assures the Mk 25 is an "AF" version. Since all SP MK 25's made since May 2003 have the "AF" kit there is not really a Mk 25 AF model per se, just MK 25's, MK 25 T's and Mk 25 SA's.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the scubapro site and started looking at the product line for different english speaking countries. The UK has AF in all of the regulator names, but places like the US and New Zealand don't. So I figured that cold places had the extra anti-freeze package and warm places didn't. But if they are all the same, it doesn't matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom