Scubagaskets getting into the Reg business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if only to maintain my reputation as a Mk25 hater,

So you are finally coming out of the closet and admitting it publicly?? I knew it and said it before, you are a "hater" 🤠🤠

Just chatted with the owner of Scubagaskets, and it turns out that they've been in development with Narwhal for the HotDive for some years now. This is not a sudden decision.
Sure, Narwhal may OEM this for more than one brand, just like WMD, ODS and others, but Scubagaskets has been in on this early, and as I suggested, is influencing design factors beyond the branding.
As for cost differences, at least part of the difference is Scubagaskets policy of a uniform shipping fee anywhere in the world, apparently even if multiple (heavy) regs are purchased. And then you also have the benefit of a company to turn to for problems, rather than an anonymous factory 10,000 miles away. That has some modest value, in and of itself.

I had a bit of a back and forth with some people involved, including ScubaGaskets and here is where it stands.
  • Their drop-shipping has the intention to keep prices uniform for where ever one orders from. Otherwise some customers outside the EU would end up paying taxes twice, once for import into the EU and then again on importing into their home country if outside the EU. It has nothing to do with the certifications of the regulator as I previously assumed. The regulator is indeed EN250 compliant.
  • People will receive a free service manual alongside their regulator. This is a huge boon in my eyes and speaks well for the path that ScubaGaskets tries to get on.
  • People will have a secure way of getting spare parts and kits for their regulators as they can get these directly from ScubaGaskets.
  • ScubaGaskets is evaluating and checking on the stainless steel for the O2 regulator.
I wish I could edit my previous posts or at least amend them. My words have been too harsh in condemning this off the bat. ScubaGaskets has been forthcoming in addressing my concerns and very open in their responses.

I do hope they end up with a good polished product, with parts and documentation freely available for everyone. This would be great for the dive community and maybe finally put a stop to the "liability" nonsense that so many other manufacturers pursue.

Interesting stuff... so if I understand it correctly, they're basically pursuing the HOG, Deep6, DiveRite model where you can get regulators, service kits, manuals, etc., and service yourself. Plus the price is cheaper. Are there any specific SG advantages?

It's just good to see other companies breaking the Scubapro "dealer only, secret service info" mold, now that computerized milling has leveled the playing field.
The traditional caveats apply: foreign sourcing, uncertain longevity, potential for corner cutting at either the specification level or third-party manufacturer level.

But Scubagaskets has steadily increased its presence over the last decade. It serves a European market that is heavily regulated by CE, and which surprisingly has minimal DIY assists, despite the ability of folks in the EU to, for example, buy Apeks kits direct. To the extent that new stuff is available to us, that's a good thing. They've got orings, hard parts, and now regs and tools!

But did you know, there's (up until now) NO PLACE where you can buy a double hook pick in Europe? More surprising, no one seems to have either heard of it or sees the utility. Even brass thin picks are not in the usual tool stores east of the Atlantic! I've tried four different tool suppliers, and no one's willing to make the effort to stock them. All the picks east of the Atlantic seem to be steel variants on dental probes. I'm kind of fed up watching hasty work with steel picks on not only YouTube, but even manufacturers' service tech seminar videos! And you wonder why we get regs back with outright leaks or IP drift...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I've looked and looked... I'd LOVE to be mistaken. Somewhere there has to be a European scuba tool distributor with brass and double hook picks...

Anyway, Scubagaskets might be the first to soon carry a double hook pick and thin brass picks. Good for them!

As for their reg(s), one advantage is 316SS for longevity, strength and corrosion resistance. They've done an excellent job on quality of tooling/manufacture. The Mk10 design is proven. The potential for their next diaphragm model to be a strong alternative to the XTX50 is huge, especially given Apeks seat and diaphragm issues. Can you imagine? A 316SS XTX50 with two second stages for the same price as an Apeks?

And I really like the owner's attitude. He introduced the reg, but before he releases a service manual and parts, he is fine tuning a host of little things so that reliability will be a given. That's uncommon.

Competition is a good thing.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I've looked and looked... I'd LOVE to be mistaken. Somewhere there has to be a European scuba tool distributor with brass and double hook picks...

Anyway, Scubagaskets might be the first to soon carry a double hook pick and thin brass picks. Good for them!
According to DIY friends overseas who were seeking them a while back and had that very same complaint, the only reliable source for brass o-ring picks and even some other common tools, were either those seen on ebay.de or ebay.co.uk, which only offered the standard three packs of single-hook tools, seen in many US dive stores -- all imported from China; that, or the small brass spike featured in some scuba multi-tools, which I have had the occasion to use, in a pinch . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 3.59.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 3.59.37 PM.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
Brass picks I found (overpriced)
Here, but they only retail, just in time for the seminar last month
They seem to be also originally from china, probably the same factory that makes the Chinese kits on ebay

On delivery the packaging had a scubaforce partnumber — probably they are the wholesaler (they have a sister company —ScubaFreaks aka SF1 — thats also a retailer for other brands)
Maybe they (SF-1) could be a good commercial source 🤷🏽‍♀️
Double hook? No luck yet — I’ll have to build my own

Brass picks I found (overpriced)
Here, but they only retail, just in time for the seminar last month
They seem to be also originally from china, probably the same factory that makes the Chinese kits on ebay

On delivery the packaging had a scubaforce partnumber — probably they are the wholesaler (they have a sister company —ScubaFreaks aka SF1 — thats also a retailer for other brands)
Maybe they (SF-1) could be a good commercial source 🤷🏽‍♀️
Double hook? No luck yet — I’ll have to build my own
That same pick set without the brushes is available for a lower price on amazon.de and amazon.uk. For example:

amazon.de - ZYWUOY-Regulator-Remover

Scubagaskets has just received a shipment of custom made double hook picks. They are sending me one to evaluate. From the pics, it's much nicer than the Scubatools plastic handled one, but will also likely be pricey.
Screenshot_20240530-143846_WhatsApp.jpg

They are also now going to stock thin brass picks.
More to follow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom