ScubaBoard SURGE Central 2018 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALL SCUBABOARD MEMBERS, THEIR FAMILY
AND FRIENDS ARE WELCOME AT THIS EVENT

For those who have never attended a ScubaBoard Event let me try to explain
and this should answer your questions. We welcome all levels of divers.
Divers are grouped in teams of 10 divers. Teams are made up of divers with
the same experience level. ALL TEAMS have a DM in the water with them
regardless of their experience level. Teams rotate boats allowing as many teams
as possible to dive together during the event. There never be any cattle boats at
ScubaBoard events. Boats are reserved for ScuBoard members only, and finding dive buddies
are never a problem at the events.

The social aspect of a SB event cannot be overstated. It is almost impossible
to feel alone unless you choose that. Stand offish is not how SB members are.
in fact you are going to make tons of friends, and some may end up to become lifelong.
I know that sound utopian, but many members have and plan dive trips together
that are not SB events. SB events are not a boot camp mentality.

We have many non diving spouses that return year after year.
Your wife will also make friend with other non diving spouses.
We choose resorts based both diving and non diving activities.
We also have contest and parties that will keep everyone engaged all week.

Airlines... this is something that SB cannot control.
My advise is look for hubs if there are no direct flight from whatever city
you are coming from. For Bonaire these would be
Houston,Newark,Atlanta,Miami,Amsterdam there may be other,
but thats what I found with a quick search. You may also choose
to fly into Aruba or Curacao then take a puddle hopper over.
PERSISTENCE is the key in dealing with airlines there is no MAGIC FORMULA.

That biggest issue for this event will be securing a room with only
50 diver spot. We expect it will sellout within a few hours.

If you have any other question please do not hesitate to ask.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Last edited:
any room for a rather new diver or people kind of stand offish on these trips.
We are anything but stand offish towards invaders. You will be assimilated in the invasion tribe and many, many friendships are forged on these trips. I just can't tell you how fun these are.

couple of questions first fairly new diver here i have 10 dives under me so far 4 freshwater and 6 tropical dives and plan to get a few freshwater throughout the summer up here in Canada .any room for a rather new diver or people kind of stand offish on these trips.second my wife will be coming along will there be enough things for her to do while im diving ,she doesn't dive ,thirdly there doesn't seem to be direct flights into bonnaire so where do you fly into and then skip over to bonnaire thanks .ps i dove grand Turks,grand caymens and Cozumel back on a cruise in January and it was great .and from what i have been reading bonnaire is a bucket list dive area so this trip has me very much intrigued

You can definitely keep to yourself if you are comfortable doing so, but I think that you will find that in the tropical sunshine, and among, from my experience, a very nice and laid-back group of people, you will smooth right in to a pleasant social environment.

For non-divers, there are a few things to do. Lots of easy snorkeling, which might be a good way to get her closer to becoming a dive buddy in the future. A lot of people rent bicycles or scooters and tour around the island checking out the unique scenery. There are a couple of decent beaches to relax on. The main waterfront has lots of benches to sit and watch the fishing boats or people watch. Something that I particularly enjoy is the drive through the national park up to the dive sites there. It's a little wild. You could easily spend a day driving from one dive site to another and just snorkel, or hang out on the beaches with some snacks and watch the divers go in and out. There are also places to go and see wild donkeys and flamingos, although these trips are better as a duo. She could also just relax on the boat while you dive and enjoy bobbing in the gentle waters, and seeing the action of everyone going in and out.

I usually fly to Curacao, then hop over to Bonaire. I recall hearing, if memory serves, that there are flights direct from Newark to Bonaire.

The SB trips are great. Well-organized, nice people, great diving.

One of the highlights of SB Invasions/Surges is No Drama. Oh, I'm sure there have been issues, but Dennis and Roxanne are so exceptional at taking care of things and leaving the rest of the crew out of it. You and your wife will have a good time, I guarantee it or I'll give you $5.00. :wink: .

A quick search last night revealed that flying to Curacao is about 50 bucks more than Aruba, but the puddle jumper from Curacao to Bonaire is about $200 cheaper and 2 hours faster. The planes for me at least get in pretty late (10PM or 6PM the next day)... will almost be forced to stay a night in Curacao, but there seems to be a lot of cheap hotels. I might stay 2 nights so I can dive 1 day... I got certified in Aruba, maybe this is my ticket to hitting all 3 islands!

any room for a rather new diver or people kind of stand offish on these trips.

Stand offish, no - swim offish, maybe. On land, most of us just flop around from lounge chair to lounge chair looking for a new flavor margarita... except Jody, because apparently she's not gonna party this year. I like new divers - they usually come up more excited than us grumpy salts. We're like, "ohhh, another turtle", smooth skins are all "HOLY MOLY DONUT SHOP DID YOU SEE THAT FREAKIN TURTLE??". Keeps it exciting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom