ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to suggest that this post be moved elsewhere (mods?), as it applies to more than just this last week, and any specific person.
I am going to share a rant.
I think that I probably started diving on Bonaire in @2003-04-05, (such things get fuzzy as we age).
This last SB Invasion was my first return since Covid struck in 2020, after never missing a year since my very first experience in diving in "shore diving paradise".
I had a ball, diving with folks who are quickly becoming good friends.
Thank you, Pete, Dennis and Roxanne
My rant:
The destruction of the reefs I witnessed this week, since my first dives on the reef off Bonaire was traumatic for me.
Over-construction on the small desert island is rapidly over populating the island.
Crap, trash and excrement which we humans produce always eventually flows to the ocean.
The cruise ship industry is only accelerating the destruction, but honestly, I see that we divers are just as much a threat as what is happening on shore, which is compounded by the warming of the oceans.
What I truly hated to see was irresponsible diving, with unskilled "divers" destroying the reef, attempting to become an instant "magazine photographer", just because they purchased $20K in gadgets.
Spending a wheelbarrow full of $$, does not make one a photographer.
I knew long ago that I am never going to become a real "photographer ", and I do not have that as a goal, but I respect the reef, and I really try to share the small interactions and relationships that I am allowed to witness on each dive, with many who will never get the chance to see the quickly disappearing wonders beneath the waves.
Capturing that "perfect picture" is not worth destroying decades, centuries and millennia of reef life.
Rant over.

I'm going to suggest that this post be moved elsewhere (mods?), as it applies to more than just this last week, and any specific person.
I think that I probably started diving on Bonaire in @2003-04-05, (such things get fuzzy as we age).
This last SB Invasion was my first return since Covid struck in 2020, after never missing a year since my very first experience in diving in "shore diving paradise".
My rant:
The destruction of the reefs I witnessed this week, since my first dives on the reef off Bonaire was traumatic for me.
Over-construction on the small desert island is rapidly over populating the island.
Crap, trash and excrement which we humans produce always eventually flows to the ocean.
The cruise ship industry is only accelerating the destruction, but honestly, I see that we divers are just as much a threat as what is happening on shore, which is compounded by the warming of the oceans.
What I truly hated to see was irresponsible diving, with unskilled "divers" destroying the reef, attempting to become an instant "magazine photographer", just because they purchased $20K in gadgets.
I knew long ago that I am never going to become a real "photographer ", and I do not have that as a goal, but I respect the reef, and I really try to share the small interactions and relationships that I am allowed to witness on each dive, with many who will never get the chance to see the quickly disappearing wonders beneath the waves.
Capturing that "perfect picture" is not worth destroying decades, centuries and millennia of reef life.
Rant over.

That's one reason I never took my GoPro out on one dive in my one trip to Bonaire. That, and I wanted to just enjoy my dives.

That's one reason I never took my GoPro out on one dive in my one trip to Bonaire. That, and I wanted to just enjoy my dives.
With a bit of skill and care, one can take an image without tramping all over the reef like an herd of cows has passed through.

With a bit of skill and care, one can take an image without tramping all over the reef like an herd of cows has passed through.

I had problems on one of my exits where the surf caused me to have an impression of brain coral on my knee

I had problems on one of my exits where the surf caused me to have an impression of brain coral on my knee
I've rolled through firecoral and urchins on a bad exit.
Shite happens.

My rant:
Rant over.
I’m glad you brought this up, Jim. I also witnessed a little bit of intentional coral touching and even elbows resting on coral to take photos. Our group should definitely aim to do our best to not be those divers!

I've rolled through firecoral and urchins on a bad exit.
Shite happens.
Bad/difficult when you are buoyant, ready to take a picture, and two divers jump into your space or sight pushing you into nearby corals while they try take the magazine perfect shot

Were you at 2024 Bonaire invasion ?

Our DM Spider was adamant about no touching of ANYTHING under water. There are and always will be unintentional fin kicks or touching from even the most neutrally buoyant diver as long as they are close to the reef. Only way to avoid touching anything is to stay far far away. But then you don't get to see the little stuff.
Sadly there seems to be a plethora of divers who are just unaware with no situational awareness (I'm speaking here more about local diving that what I saw in Bonaire). Hopefully they are open to gentle reminders of paying attention to the whole body all the way to the fin tips.

Back
Top Bottom