ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our DM Spider was adamant about no touching of ANYTHING under water. There are and always will be unintentional fin kicks or touching from even the most neutrally buoyant diver as long as they are close to the reef. Only way to avoid touching anything is to stay far far away. But then you don't get to see the little stuff.
Sadly there seems to be a plethora of divers who are just unaware with no situational awareness (I'm speaking here more about local diving that what I saw in Bonaire). Hopefully they are open to gentle reminders of paying attention to the whole body all the way to the fin tips.
Our DM was also very adamant about this issue, bringing it up to the whole group several times during the dive briefing

I forgot to ask. How was the coral life? When I was in Curacao last December, most everything was bleached.

Bad/difficult when you are buoyant, ready to take a picture, and two divers jump into your space or sight pushing you into nearby corals while they try take the magazine perfect shot
Do not get me started on "divers" attached to a GoPro on a "Selfish Stick"!
Obviously this "rant" does not hinge on the toys one picks.
Over the years I have dived with some awesome diver's, who are using identical technology as those I call Zippy Go Pro, but not all divers have good situational awareness, and far too many assume that buying expensive toys suddenly exempts that diver from the need to master skills.
It is not the particular choice in toys that makes the difference, as much it is just that there are divers who Care about the reef, and others who have no effing clue or care about what they are destroying just to get themselves a "perfect picture"!

I forgot to ask. How was the coral life? When I was in Curacao last December, most everything was bleached.
Near the beach where there's a lot of turbulence and entries/exits it's not great of course but at depth or off a boat there seemed like a lot a healthy coral IMO. Keep in mind, this was my first visit though, so I have no point of reference.

Moonie is VERY excited about next year's
SCUBABOARD INVASION 2025
It is our 25th Birthday
20240630_093629.jpg

Our DM Spider was adamant about no touching of ANYTHING under water. There are and always will be unintentional fin kicks or touching from even the most neutrally buoyant diver as long as they are close to the reef. Only way to avoid touching anything is to stay far far away. But then you don't get to see the little stuff.
Sadly there seems to be a plethora of divers who are just unaware with no situational awareness (I'm speaking here more about local diving that what I saw in Bonaire). Hopefully they are open to gentle reminders of paying attention to the whole body all the way to the fin tips.
Confession...

I turned over a little molusk that had gotten flipped onto its shell. Watch it turn out to be an invasive species and it eats Bonaire.

ohhh.. the scuba police might be lurking!!!!

This is scuba related in terms of gear maintenance:

I was having trouble with corrosion on my Sola lights connectors that charge it. When we were at AKR last year, @WarrenZ recommended a product they use to stop corrosion on satellites. We first tried it a year ago and it made my connectors look brand new; so now we apply to our gear after return home from a trip.

Amazon link:
DeoxIT D-Series D100S Spray

Glad that is working for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom