Scubaboard selling/giving away our email addresses now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I feel that this is going a little too far!

I just received a direct email advertisement on my personal email account from a company I see occasionally posting adversising in the formums here. The advertisement was addressed to "Scubaboard Members".

I'm not sure if this is a "sanctioned" mailing or not, but I'm not very happy about my email address being freely given out to third parties. If this was done with the blessings of scubaboard.com, it needs to stop. If not, I think that the person responsible should have their board membership revoked.

The profile setting says "Receive Newsletters & Thread Alerts via Email" not "Please give out my email address to third parties so that they can send me advertising".

What is the deal here? If the powers that be want to see a copy of the email, I'll be happy to forward it to them.

That's what junk e-mail accounts are for. Warranties, Newspaper articles, any site that wants an e-mail address.

It's being looked into.

Same vetch here, unsolicited marketing from nocturnallights.com to "Scubaboard Members". One hint for possible e-tailers -- that's a guaranteed way to tick off potential customers, really dumb since we would actually be likely customers.

Have other people also received this mailing?

Howarde got it too

I don't know if I got any such mail. I have extremely aggressive e-mail filtering and blocking, it usually blocks around 75 junk messages a day. The only messages I get from businesses that are also present here on ScubaBoard are from businesses that I have purchased from, and those messages only started after I willingly gave them my address.

Mark Vlahos

i got it and yes, made me decide then and there never to buy from this company.

deleted email and set up my system to block him in futre.

Yes... let it be noted for the record that I recieved 1 e-mail from tim@nocturnallights.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom