ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie question - footwear. Currently Gayle and I have relatively flexible soled dive boots (mine more than hers) and have read that having a hard, molded boot is important.

Question is just how important … a ‘if you don’t it’ll be like walking barefoot on Lego’s’ or ‘it’ll be uncomfortable at times but nothing a post-dive drink won’t solve’?

Newbie question - footwear. Currently Gayle and I have relatively flexible soled dive boots (mine more than hers) and have read that having a hard, molded boot is important.

Question is just how important … a ‘if you don’t it’ll be like walking barefoot on Lego’s’ or ‘it’ll be uncomfortable at times but nothing a post-dive drink won’t solve’?
If you are going to just boat dive not needed. If you are going to shore dive hard soles are a must.

good question. enquiring minds want to know.

If you are going to just boat dive not needed. If you are going to shore dive hard soles are a must.
Thanks Dennis! Would be kinda silly to go to Bonaire and not shore dive eh? Something like this work? Or any other recommendations you or others would have would be very helpful. :)

this is actually a significant issue because it will also dictate which fins I bring. god help me if I have to carry my wife.

Thanks Dennis! Would be kinda silly to go to Bonaire and not shore dive eh? Something like this work? Or any other recommendations you or others would have would be very helpful. :)
I used the Seasoft high top version of this boot for hundreds of dives in Bonaire. They were fine. FYI, if you are looking at heavy duty boots make sure they will comfortably fit into your current fin pocket.

Yes those will work fine as long as they fit your fin. The 85% entry/exit shore dives could have slippery rocks but definitely will have rocks unless you are at Bachelor's beach, Pink beach, and few (2 or 3) others down South.

An alternative I have seen used on Bonaire when a diver only owns closed heel fins is to wear good sandals for the Entry and Exits.
The sandals can be stowed on or in your rig while diving.

Yes, firm soled booties are important. If you are unsure of your stability, consider using a collapsible walking/trekking pole as an assist. They are widely available and can be clipped off during your dive.

The additional stability of being a tripod is significant. Especially as I get older, I would like to avoid falls.

You can search the Bonaire forum for "collapsible pole" for more details, including good videos

I wish everyone a good, safe trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom