ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the avg max depth for roatan? Is it mostly shallow or do I need to get nitrox to max bottom time?
Most dives here are a max of 75'. That is the case from the south side and north side of the Island. The two wrecks on the southside are both at 111', laying in the sand at the stern of the wrecks. Most of the diving on the west end of the Island is mostly done at 60' max. On top of the reefs on the west end (looking for Turtles) your max depth is 55'. Of course, anywhere over the wall, you can get to any depth you want, but there is very little to see below about 85'. Most all the seahorses are in the 45' depth up to the shallows. Toadfish are around 60-45' in depth. The turtles are found mostly in the 30-65' depths. and the Eagle rays love to cruise the walls or channels in about 35-75' depths. The eels (Green Morays) that are free swimming on the north and west end of the Island are usually found along the walls anywhere from 35-75'. Beware of the Eels on the south side of the Island, they are very aggressive and will attack divers. Some dive shops on that side of the Island have been feeding the Eels, so they now associate divers with food.

Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the diving or Roatan.

Hey Dennis, dumb question Lisa is a little apprehensive about the snorkel boat is it possible to jump on the snorkel boat and do a dive or two with her or is that boat full. I assume since the dive boat goes out three times a day I may be able to sit out specific dives as I desire.

You cannot dive from the snorkel boat but i guess you could skip a dive to go snorkel.
Snorkel schedule can be found here.
My SIL, Melanie is no longer a diver, so when we did AKR, as a makeup for the Covid-torpedoed-Roatan- Invasion, she did the snorkel trips and the dolphin thing.
I believe that she was not disappointed.
My brother, dbnewton on SB could confirm (or not) this.

My SIL, Melanie is no longer a diver, so when we did AKR, as a makeup for the Covid-torpedoed-Roatan- Invasion, she did the snorkel trips and the dolphin thing.
I believe that she was not disappointed.
My brother, dbnewton on SB could confirm (or not) this.
I do confirm. Melanie loved the snorkeling and how the crew managed the snorkelers. The crew was helpful and informative. The snorkeling relaxed and easy with a good variety of sites and sea life. They select sites based on current conditions keeping out of strong currents or high waves. She will be snorkeling again this time.

Hopefully, someone can answer this easy without reading through 43 pages :) I see on some of the promo videos, there's a shark dive. Is that one of the dives included or would that be a premium dive we would need to pay for separately?

Hopefully, someone can answer this easy without reading through 43 pages :) I see on some of the promo videos, there's a shark dive. Is that one of the dives included or would that be a premium dive we would need to pay for separately?
The shark dive is a premium dive with an additional charge of $115 per person. I'll clarify that on the travel thread.

Hey Dennis, dumb question Lisa is a little apprehensive about the snorkel boat is it possible to jump on the snorkel boat and do a dive or two with her or is that boat full. I assume since the dive boat goes out three times a day I may be able to sit out specific dives as I desire.

I do confirm. Melanie loved the snorkeling and how the crew managed the snorkelers. The crew was helpful and informative. The snorkeling relaxed and easy with a good variety of sites and sea life. They select sites based on current conditions keeping out of strong currents or high waves. She will be snorkeling again this time.

Just to let Lisa know, she will have 1 other crew member along with Melanie joining her on the snorkel boat as well. I've heard so many great things about the snorkeling, she should have a blast!

I was doing the math and if I get in 3 shore dives plus all the boat dives, it will be dive #100 for
I'd have to check my log, and do some math, which before my first :coffee: is unlikely, but I know that I'm finally nearing my 1000th.
I very well might make it on this trip.
We’ll all have to meet at the bar for a toast. MrsDeepSeaExplorer will hit 100 on the first or second day, and I will hit 1,000 on day three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom