Scuba with freediving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive with them, but one of my buddies does. Just be careful following them so you don't get kicked in the head.

Oh what the heck... Here's the code for the 20% off all fins... hope you all will still sign up for our mailing list.

-
to get your 20% off BRO DEAL, enter the code APRBRODEAL at checkout!

Thank you for the offering this discount. I purchased another pair of Competition Freediver fins earlier this week and quickly received them two days later. My experience with Mako Spearguns has always been positive. Product quality is first rate and customer service is outstanding. Thanks again.

I am REALLY tempted to get some of the carbon composite ones. I love my Competition Freedivers and the freediving instructor at my shop keeps telling me how much better carbon composite or pure carbon (or even fiberglass) would be compared to the ones I have.

But, I just can't justify spending the money. I don't use them in cold water or when I'm diving wrecks, so I only get to use my freedivers once or twice a year. I'm bringing them to Cozumel for next week, but I'm looking forward to wearing them, drifting along, and never actually having to kick, so....

Still... carbon fiber.... OOooooo!!!! Shiny!!!!!

Did anyone see the new aquabionic abs fins? What are your thoughts?

First I've heard of them...

Looks like maybe these were crowdfunded w/ MSRP around $260. Interesting design, but wonder how durable that plastic-looking fin clip would be over time, or how the shoe would hold up.

Thank you for the offering this discount. I purchased another pair of Competition Freediver fins earlier this week and quickly received them two days later. My experience with Mako Spearguns has always been positive. Product quality is first rate and customer service is outstanding. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide positive feedback on MAKO's customer service and gear!

And Stuart, Have a great time in Cozumel. If it pushes you over the edge, you know you can purchase just the blades and use your existing footpockets .

Also, to be perfectly honest, freedivers are really pushing the envelope trying to get the best performance. Scuba divers are moving so much more gear, that I would honestly be surprised if a scuba diver could feel much of a difference between fiberglass and Carbon fiber.

Dive Safe!
Dano

Understood Dano. Thank you!

I thought about just buying replacement blades. But then I thought "what would I do with my old blades?" They would be useless. If I buy whole new fins then at least the old fins could be useful. Maybe use them to get one of my buddies hooked on freediving fins. :D

I like the idea of using the freedive fins on scuba, but don't like full foot fins. And right now, most of our diving is shore diving in Bonaire, so hard soled dive boots are a must. Does anyone make an open heel freedive fin available in the US? Can the Mako fin(s) be modified to add a bungee strap or something similar? Is the foot pocket in a freedive fin narrower than an open heel fin?

I like the idea of using the freedive fins on scuba, but don't like full foot fins. And right now, most of our diving is shore diving in Bonaire, so hard soled dive boots are a must. Does anyone make an open heel freedive fin available in the US? Can the Mako fin(s) be modified to add a bungee strap or something similar? Is the foot pocket in a freedive fin narrower than an open heel fin?

If you Google open heel freedive fins, you should get some hits. However, the heel strap and buckle assembly will increase drag and also provide a point to trap fishing lines etc. in addition, a full foot fin pocket holds the foot more securely so there is a better transfer of power. For these reasons, there is almost universal acceptance of the full foot fin in freediving.

The full foot pocket fits the foot well and can NOT accommodate a heavy soled boot. Some divers who tow a float/flag might be able to wear crocks or beach shoes to the water and then attach them to their float. Another option, is a kevlar soled sock that we sell. The bottom is quite tough and is abrasion resistant, but it is not a rigid sole and will not provide protection from sharp rock.

Rock Socks with Kevlar Soles | MAKO Spearguns
MRSKS-2T.jpg

Back
Top Bottom