Scuba with freediving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting to hear your perspective on the efficiency of freedive fins!. The Omer Stingray Fin is a good fin. Here is a link I found to a retailer offering that fin:

OMER Stingray Freediving Fins

At MAKO we offer a variety of freedive fins and we offer a very, very similar fin - however we decided to only stock it in small sizes which are suitable for children and some women (we call it the Los Ninos Fin). Our gear comes from the same factories that some other quality manufactures use.

Here is a small image from that site, the listed price is $168.00 Sorry for the small picture.

omer_stingray_fin_1.jpg

Our Los Ninos fins are currently on sale right now for anyone who signs up for our newsletter. We have a discount of 20% for all our fins.

See this thread:

MAKO Spearguns: April Bro-Deal: Fins!

I think some people might be very interested to see the price differential between the MAKO and analogous Omer fin.

We are selling our fins this month for a little under $40!

mlnff-2t-jpg.454089.jpg

If any scuba divers are considering the idea of trying out some freedive fins for their next scuba dive, NOW might be a REALLY GOOD time to go shopping.

After seeing loads of hunters and guides using freediving fins in WPB I decided to give them a try. I looked at numerous designs and went with the Mako Competition fins. Excellent price and interchangeable blades. I love diving these fins! They are perfect for lobster hunting in Florida currents. Forget the giant stride. Simply walk backwards and roll in. Now here is the rub. Traveling. I took these fins on our last trip to Cozumel and had to disassemble them in order to pack. No problem, but reassembling the fins was not fun (there is a technique). Moreover, disassembling and reassembling the fins over and over is probably unwise. Need to find a checked bag to handle the length. Fortunately we didn’t do any tight swim-throughs because that could have been an issue too, but the fins were very effective against the current. Which begs the question, why do eagle rays always swim AGAINST the current?

... why do eagle rays always swim AGAINST the
Do they really? Just genuinly curious.
How does that work? I would like to bike fownwind all the time... or dive downcurrent all the time too...
Thought I've seen one coming by a few times once, when waiting, but maybe it was different ones...

Do they really? Just genuinly curious.

Sorry, not really, just my poor attempt at humor. But, it does seem like every time I have the GoPro and swimming along side an eagle ray the current is smashing me in the face. It’s possible the rays are better swimmers too…...

Last edited:
After seeing loads of hunters and guides using freediving fins in WPB I decided to give them a try. I looked at numerous designs and went with the Mako Competition fins. Excellent price and interchangeable blades. I love diving these fins! They are perfect for lobster hunting in Florida currents. Forget the giant stride. Simply walk backwards and roll in. Now here is the rub. Traveling. I took these fins on our last trip to Cozumel and had to disassemble them in order to pack. No problem, but reassembling the fins was not fun (there is a technique). Moreover, disassembling and reassembling the fins over and over is probably unwise. Need to find a checked bag to handle the length. Fortunately we didn’t do any tight swim-throughs because that could have been an issue too, but the fins were very effective against the current. Which begs the question, why do eagle rays always swim AGAINST the current?

100% agree. I have the same fins and they are my favorite warm water fin. A bargain at twice the price! (if you don't mind taking them apart to fly.. )

Doh! I guess I might have mentioned that already in this thread... :D

I’ve used freediving fins for scuba and they rock!
My normal go-to fin are Jets, but I have used my Picasso long blades for scuba down in Socal during lobster season. Mine are full foot and I made my own 7mm neoprene socks out of an old rubatex wetsuit. The only reason I don’t use them more on shore dives is because the socks are more tender than booties and are not good for hikes to the beach, they are better for boat diving.
I thought of maybe trying surf booties with freediving fins since they are thinner but have a sole with tread.

I’ve used freediving fins for scuba and they rock!
My normal go-to fin are Jets, but I have used my Picasso long blades for scuba down in Socal during lobster season. Mine are full foot and I made my own 7mm neoprene socks out of an old rubatex wetsuit. The only reason I don’t use them more on shore dives is because the socks are more tender than booties and are not good for hikes to the beach, they are better for boat diving.
I thought of maybe trying surf booties with freediving fins since they are thinner but have a sole with tread.

Check out Mako Spearguns. They have some neoprene socks with Kevlar soles.

I do love long fins with Scuba. Just one drawback - when you dive between corals or other underwater creatures - you can damage them.
But for the currents - it is the best!

Once, when I was new diver, I had dive with pair from Germany.
We turn behind island corner and got very strong current in front.
My buddies try to catch rocks, but I stay in water without any problems, with normal forces.
Later we passed corner, where was not current.

i-3232.jpg

See at bubbles angle :) ultra-high-speed :)

I use Cressi Gara LD (grey ones, it is more soft than black). It has perfect overshoe, ideally fits to my foot.
h-3084.jpg

Also you can swim at same speed with others (who has normal fins) just slowly moving by feets, that allow just moving only fins tips. Minimal forces spent, great relax.

In Russia we have one domestic manufacturer, who produce very interesting fins overshoe:
Ласты из пвх и стеклотекстолита: продажа, цена в Челябинске. ласты для плавания от "Зырянов и К" - 836567
448280185_w800_h640_lasty1.jpg

It fits to any kind of boots or socks (boots is better :) )

and also long fins suitable even for back kick :)

Back
Top Bottom