Scuba with freediving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the mako compilation freedive fins on scuba all the time. You just have to learn how fat back they go so you don't hit stuff with them. I back roll into the water with mine.

In Russia we have one domestic manufacturer, who produce very interesting fins overshoe:
Ласты из пвх и стеклотекстолита: продажа, цена в Челябинске. ласты для плавания от "Зырянов и К" - 836567
View attachment 454407
It fits to any kind of boots or socks (boots is better :) )
Now, that is an interesting option. Wish we had someone in the West producing a product like that.

Another scuba advocate of freedive fins was our former SB user, Dan Volker. Dan alerted my to a freedive fin that he had used, which would fit over boots. Unfortunately, by the time he told me, and I tried to buy it, it was a discontinued model.

I have long wanted to try free dive fins while scuba diving, but I have held off because of the initial investment - the old, 'What if I don't like them?' whine. :) But, having read several of the posts in this thread, I think it is time to try a pair of the Mako Competition fins (since I love everything else I have bought from Mako). Although I might disagree with Stuart's self-description ('Since I live up north' - Stuart, you and I live in VA, how can you say that is 'the north' :)), I think his post has finally pushed me over the edge and it is time to try them.

Last edited:
I could remember one another manufacturer of open heels long fins - Imersion
80991.jpg

Opa! I found such topic, already discussed here Open heel free diving fins
:)

Now, that is an interesting option. Wish we had someone in the West producing a product like that.

Another scuba advocate of freedive fins was our former SB user, Dan Volker. Dan alerted my to a freedive fin that he had used, which would fit over boots. Unfortunately, by the time he told me, and I tried to buy it, it was a discontinued model.

I have long wanted to try free dive fins while scuba diving, but I have held off because of the initial investment - the old, 'What if I don't like them?' whine. :) But, having read several of the posts in this thread, I think it is time to try a pair of the Mako Competition fins (since I love everything else I have bought from Mako). Although I might disagree with Stuart's self-description ('Since I live up north' - Stuart, you and I live in VA, how can you say that is 'the north' :)), I think his post has finally pushed me over the edge and it is time to try them.

I'm a displaced Florida boy. Virginia is part of The Great White North, to me. :)

My feet are size 10.5. If you are worried about it, I'd be happy to send you my Mako fins and some neoprene socks, so you can try them out ... after I get back from Coz in 3 weeks. I'll be using them myself that week. :D

hi all, I I'm debating switching to freediving fins. I'm curious to see if anyone uses them and how they like them.

I used freediving fins for one season. They have their good points and bad; effortless straight-line efficiency, but can also be unwieldy and awkward. Probably more dependent on the application and conditions.

Ultimately I went back to the Mares Avanti Quattro Power, which are a great compromise. These are the best full-foot fins I have ever used for scuba diving period; providing fantastic power due to their long/large size and surface area, but are also very precise around reefs and tight situations. The down side I suppose is they are pricey, heavy, bulky, and probably not the best travel fin; but in terms of overall performance for scuba, they are numero uno in my book. They also make a camo version for freediving:

Avanti Quattro Power - Standard (blue, yellow, black)

Avanti Quattro Power - Freediving (camouflage, black)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oh what the heck... Here's the code for the 20% off all fins... hope you all will still sign up for our mailing list.

-
to get your 20% off BRO DEAL, enter the code APRBRODEAL at checkout!

Hey @MAKO Spearguns, what is the difference between the Competition Freediver II that you have now and the original Competition Freediver (that I have)?

Oh what the heck... Here's the code for the 20% off all fins... hope you all will still sign up for our mailing list.

-
to get your 20% off BRO DEAL, enter the code APRBRODEAL at checkout!

Is the 20% off Bro deal in addition to the discounted pricing shown on the website ? I tried entering the code, but it said, not valid.

Hey @MAKO Spearguns, what is the difference between the Competition Freediver II that you have now and the original Competition Freediver (that I have)?

Stuart:
Thanks for the inquiry. About a year ago, we updated the blades to make them more consistent with our fiberglass blade dimensions. We did not change the construction, materials or hardness of the blades.

We made the blades approximately 1 cm narrower and about 2 cm longer. Not a significant change, you might not be able to recognize the difference unless you had them side by side. So length is 78 cm and width is 21 cm. This change probably doesn't affect performance.

I appreciate your positive comments about our fins. Enjoy you upcoming trip.

Thanks

Dano

Is the 20% off Bro deal in addition to the discounted pricing shown on the website ? I tried entering the code, but it said, not valid.

Ron:

Thanks for taking the time to check my store out!

We have previously (or already) discounted our fiberglass fins 20%, so we can't offer an additional 20% off. However, I looked more carefully at our website and we have discounted the black fiberglass fins $30 off which is around 15%. If you had your heart set on those particular fins, please just place the order over the phone, mention this conversation and the guys should be able to bump up the discount to a full $40. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom