Scuba with freediving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MAKO Spearguns
Thanks for the reminder!
So, a question on sizing w/o any boots. I wear a 10E or a 10 1/2D, depending on brand. Do your fins tend to run true to size? I'm wondering if the 10-11 might be a little loose.

@MAKO Spearguns
Thanks for the reminder!
So, a question on sizing w/o any boots. I wear a 10E or a 10 1/2D, depending on brand. Do your fins tend to run true to size? I'm wondering if the 10-11 might be a little loose.

Thanks for the inquiry. Our fins sizing chart is good, we get few returns. As you may have noticed we do not have a chart for barefoot, although it is not that unusual actually.

This would be my advice, If you are absolutely sure you are going to go barefoot, (and absolutely want to avoid wearing neoprene sock) - then go for the 8-9. There is a good chance you will find them comfortable and not too snug.

If you are not entirely against the possibility of wearing a neoprene sock, then order the 10-11. The 10-11 MAY fit you well enough barefoot - your are right on the border line (when barefoot).

My thinking is that if the 10-11 is a little loose barefoot, then you could use an inexpensive pair of 2 or 3 mm socks and then you fall right into our size chart and they should definitely fit.

Some people find our footpockets shaped well enough and are comfortable enough to wear barefoot. However, a good majority of divers are going to wear some kind of neoprene sock (it does enhance comfort and provides chafing protection).

Another consideration with respect to neoprene socks versus barefoot:

If you are going to be going on a multi-day trip, diving many hours each day for consecutive days, then this tends to make the skin on your feet soft and vulnerable to chaffing etc. For this type of application, I can provide a strong recommendation that you consider neoprene socks.

If you dive for a day here and there, barefoot is a more viable option.

These are my opinions, a lot comes down to personal preference in warm water where the sock is not needed for thermal protection.

Sorry if my answer is not a simple yes or no.

Please understand that if the MAKO fins you select do not fit to your satisfaction (and they are still in unused and salable condition) we will accept returns.

Thanks!
Dano

Some people find our footpockets shaped well enough and are comfortable enough to wear barefoot. However, a good majority of divers are going to wear some kind of neoprene sock (it does enhance comfort and provides chafing protection).

This might be why I remember full foot fins being uncomfortable. Thanks for the help on this; and not just giving me a yes or no answer. You'll have another order either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Just finished order. Looking forward to trying them out!

I am REALLY tempted to get some of the carbon composite ones. I love my Competition Freedivers and the freediving instructor at my shop keeps telling me how much better carbon composite or pure carbon (or even fiberglass) would be compared to the ones I have.

But, I just can't justify spending the money. I don't use them in cold water or when I'm diving wrecks, so I only get to use my freedivers once or twice a year. I'm bringing them to Cozumel for next week, but I'm looking forward to wearing them, drifting along, and never actually having to kick, so....

Still... carbon fiber.... OOooooo!!!! Shiny!!!!!

Could someone please advise on the best material of free diving fins for scuba diving? Would pure carbon (or carbon composite) be better for scuba diving than fibreglass? I talked to MAKO guys, and they told me that fibreglass fins are more durable than pure carbon, which sometimes could brake. Yes they are marginally thicker and heavier, but does anyone has a strong educated opinion?
Many thanks.

Most of my spearfishing buddies do this. I guess it depends on if you need to swim fast and are not worried about fatigue, or if you want something with little fatigue.

For normal diving I can't see why you would need a large fin, the idea is to work as little as possible. If your spearing though they could def be useful.

For normal diving I can't see why you would need a large fin, the idea is to work as little as possible.

Right. And wherever you want to go in scuba, you can get there with less effort using a freediving fin...

Right. And wherever you want to go in scuba, you can get there with less effort using a freediving fin...

Not true, there is more resistance. This is the whole idea behind split fins.

Not to mention cramping, which is common with free dive fins

Have you actually dived on scuba using freediving fins?

Back
Top Bottom