Scuba...the "rich man's" sport

What's a Scuba diver's approx. HOUSEHOLD income per year??

• Under $25,000 annual pay

Votes: 30 8.6%
  • $25,001 to $75,000

Votes: 120 34.4%
  • $75,001 to $125,000

Votes: 119 34.1%
  • $125,001 to $175,000

Votes: 39 11.2%
  • Over $175,000

Votes: 41 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main passion is road race track days. My avitar is me on my Ducati 996 (18k new) at Barber Motorsports in Alabama.

I do these events, usually a weekend, about 7 times a year.

Event entry is about $200 per day.
A set of tires, that will be scrap after two days, is about $350, if you mount them yourself, which I do.

With travel and hotels, it's usually a $1000 weekend.

My brief 6 week love affair with scuba has set me back just a little shy of $6000 for equipment and classes for my Son and I.

I also play paintball with my Son and it looks like scuba will be a little less expensive than that. That normally costs about $200 per day for the two of us.

Many of you say that Scuba is NOT the "rich man's" sport. :confused: Somehow, I do not recall meeting any divers on public assistance (Wellfare or SSI). :D

I try to seek out the most inexpensive places. Cozumel, Honduras, Thailand all have excellent diving and you can do it on a budget, especially if you don't stay in the high dig hotels.

mase:
I try to seek out the most inexpensive places. Cozumel, Honduras, Thailand all have excellent diving and you can do it on a budget, especially if you don't stay in the high dig hotels.

These Places Inexpensive? :11: :11: Surely you jest?

As many in this thread have stated, I guess it's all in one's perspective. Inexpensive locations to dive for "thes colage edicated scooba divar" means the local quarry...which, by the way, I'll be at all day tomorrow. :D

I was talking in terms of travel. Local is certainly cheaper, however some of us are warm water wimps.

To non-divers, scuba looks more expensive than it is. I have a picture at work of my daughter diving, and she has good basic gear. It cost about $800. People "say that looks expensive". Our second-shift plant maintenance man bought a new Harley Electra Glide ($20,000?), and nobody considers that expensive or extravagant.

In Florida, the equipment and fees can cost about the same as golf.

Compared to the annual expense of hockey, icetime and upgrading equipment costs, I personaly don't see any difference, except the water is softer!
That coupled with the fact that I've been paying for my gear plus my son's I still think I'm getting off cheap. Just a Canuck opinion

Stu S.:
To non-divers, scuba looks more expensive than it is. I have a picture at work of my daughter diving, and she has good basic gear. It cost about $800. People "say that looks expensive". Our second-shift maintenance man bought a new Harley Electra Glide ($20,000?), and nobody considers that expensive or extravagant.

In Florida, the equipment and fees can cost about the same as golf.

So true...that's why I have scuba gear but NOT the HARLEY THAT I WANT :( :(

Besides, I couldn't haul all the gear on a HOG, so the Chevy van works just fine.

......not when you consider your return on investment (ROI).

Show me any other sport or activity that has a greater ROI. Wether it is seeing larger pelargics, a dice sized baby trunk fish, or a 3.5' free swimming octopus on the Rhone, it all seems like a great investment in my mental, spiritual health and family relationships.

It is one of the best investments that I own.

Good Diving,

Dave

k4man:
What about not only age, however, but economical status?? This HAS to play a huge factor concerning those who dive. So, as delicately as possible, what's your household income (yes, you can spend your SPOUSE'S income on scuba, too :D )

I've met a few rich divers, not many. Most are broke because of Scuba!!

I for example, have no money, but lots and lots of dive stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom