Scuba Tank Transporting - Are you safe and legal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m sure this has been discussed before but…

Do you carry your tanks in the back of your car/truck unsecured? The reason I ask is a local California Highway Patrolman who comes by for parts once and while was telling me a story of a guy on the freeway that was severely injured by a loose scuba tank that was on the floor of his back seat. After he was rear-ended, the tank flew up and smacked him in the head.

I asked what the rules were. He told me that loose high pressure* tanks is a violation but he has never sited anyone yet but plans on enforcing the rules now. I asked what he meant by secured and he replied, “Same as welding tanks.” . This means, vertical, physically restrained with the safety cap on. I said, “Scuba tanks do not have safety caps.” He then replied, “Then they better be vertical and secure.”

I wonder if it’s just him or if other CHP will start enforcing this rule.

*Both High and Low Pressure Scuba Tanks fall into this catagory.

This is good advice. I just realized I keep my 30 cf pony bottle laying in the back seat of my car, because the trunk is full with main tanks. If I had a wreck, that could get ugly. ScubaBoard might implode if someone started a a thread titled, "Killed by a flying Pony Bottle".

I think the vertical position is a very bad Idea. Welding tank are transported in open back truck with lots of stuff AND the cap protector is there. (I know our company is a construction company) Where would a tank fit vertically in anything else than a truck? If the tanks tips of or the valve comes undo its hello a big hole in your trunk. I'd say secure them properly with something between each tank to keep them from banging on each other and if a policeman gives you trouble tell him to call your lawyer and have a good day. I've had many problems with COPS in the US and they tend to be a bit on the crazy side. Or maybe theyve all had bad days dunno.

But for securing your tank its important but dont take the officer's word for it. He knew nothing about scuba tank and that clearly indicates he can't make a clear and 100% objective decision.

my 2cents

How am I going to secure 4 AL80 tanks upright in my Honda Civic. I hope Kansas and Missouri doesn't have similar laws. Would the trunk be secure enough? No way to get smacked in the head during an accident.

Seems like he didn't know much about it and was making it up as he goes along. Might be interesting to dig up an actual copy of whatever rule or law applies. (And maybe keep a copy in the car, like some people do for the TSA... :wink: )

... Might be interesting to dig up an actual copy of whatever rule or law applies. (And maybe keep a copy in the car, like some people do for the TSA... :wink: )

Sounds like a good plan.

Ask him for the Vehicle Code section that prohibits this. A search of the DMV & CHP websites doesn't bring up anything applicable.

Sounds like the cop was blowing smoke and he better have a warrant if he wants to open my trunk and see how my tanks are secured. I'm sure a loose tank in the back seat could be a danger in the event of an accident. So could a bag of groceries, a stack of books, a bowling ball, or any of the other gazillion heavy objects people often carry in their car. Next time ask him if we are required to secure our bowling balls vertically.

Holy mackerel... I wonder what the LA Sheriffs will do to me when they stop me for having a SCUBA tank upright on the passenger side... of my golf cart (the "Dr. Bill Mobile").

I would suggest checking with the State and/or Federal DOT. As a safety factor for transporting SCUBA cylinders in a vehicle, I load my parallel to the bumper. If my vehicle is rear-ended there would be a vastly reduced change on a valve being struck, potentially causing catastrophic failure and turning the cylinder into a missile. If, by chance it did, the tanks would not be in the direction of the passenger compartment. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom