Scuba Tank Transporting - Are you safe and legal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hatchback can store them upright, but no way in a regular car. I think a small wooden rack to keep them from rolling around would be more than enough. Wouldn't weigh much either. Parallel with the bumper is probably smart too. If youre done your day of diving, then your tanks are probably empty anyway. I believe the laws are for tanks filled with compressed air. No idea what the laws are here or elsewhere though.

Anything loose in the back seat is a problem.

Sounds like the cop was blowing smoke and he better have a warrant if he wants to open my trunk and see how my tanks are secured. I'm sure a loose tank in the back seat could be a danger in the event of an accident. So could a bag of groceries, a stack of books, a bowling ball, or any of the other gazillion heavy objects people often carry in their car. Next time ask him if we are required to secure our bowling balls vertically.

Maybe he was, maybe not. In any event, a high presure vessel is not the same as a bag of groceries or a stack of books.

This is good advice. I just realized I keep my 30 cf pony bottle laying in the back seat of my car, because the trunk is full with main tanks. If I had a wreck, that could get ugly. ScubaBoard might implode if someone started a a thread titled, "Killed by a flying Pony Bottle".

Can I put my Spare Air in the bottle compartment of my centre console?:D

I think people confuse OSHA regs with the DOT regs.

OHSA requires compressed gas cylinders to be transported, moved and stored vertically, but this applies only to construction sites:

29 CFR 1926.350(a)(9) Securing of Compressed Gas Cylinders

A. Purpose. This instruction emphasizes that the OSHA standard, 29 CFR 1926.350(a)(9), applies to transporting, moving and storing compressed gas cylinders at construction sites only.

The DOT regs apply only to interstate, intrastate and foreign commerce and the average diver going to and from home, dive shop and dive site is not engaged in commerce, as he/she is a customer transporting the gas for his/her own use, not for resale:

Sec. 171.1 Purpose and scope.

(a) This subchapter prescribes requirements of the Department of
Transportation governing--
(1) The offering of hazardous materials for transportation and
transportation of hazardous materials in interstate, intrastate, and
foreign commerce by rail car, aircraft, motor vehicle, and vessel
(except as delegated at Sec. 1.46(t) of this title), (except that until
October 1, 1998, this subchapter applies to intrastate carriers by motor
vehicle only in so far as this subchapter relates to hazardous waste,
hazardous substances, flammable cryogenic liquids in portable tanks and
cargo tanks, and marine pollutants).

Most importantly, the DOT regs do not prohibit the carriage of gas cylinders, other than DOT-4L liquid hydrogen cylinders, in a horizontal orientation as long as they are securly blocked and/or secured from moving:

Sec. 177.840 Class 2 (gases) materials.

(See also Sec. 177.834 (a) to (j).)
(a) Floors or platforms essentially flat. Cylinders containing Class
2 (gases) materials shall not be loaded onto any part of the floor or
platform of any motor vehicle which is not essentially flat; cylinders
containing Class 2 (gases) materials may be loaded onto any motor
vehicle not having a floor or platform only if such motor vehicle be
equipped with suitable racks having adequate means for securing such
cylinders in place therein. Nothing contained in this section shall be
so construed as to prohibit the loading of such cylinders on any motor
vehicle having a floor or platform and racks as hereinbefore described.
(1) Cylinders. To prevent their overturning, cylinders containing
Class 2 (gases) materials must be securely lashed in an upright position;
loaded into racks securely attached tothe motor vehicle; packed in boxes
or crates of such dimensions as to prevent their overturning; or loaded
in a horizontal position.

Specification DOT-4L cylinders must be loaded in an upright position and
securely braced.
(2) Cylinders for hydrogen, cryogenic liquid. A Specification DOT-4L
cylinder containing hydrogen, cryogenic liquid may only be transported
on a motor vehicle as follows:
(i) The vehicle must have an open body equipped with a suitable rack
or support having a means to hold the cylinder upright when subjected to
an acceleration of 2 ``g'' in any horizontal direction;
(ii) The combined total of the hydrogen venting rates, as marked, on
the cylinders transported on one motor vehicle may not exceed 60 SCF per
hour;
(iii) The vehicle may not enter a tunnel; and
(iv) Highway transportation is limited to private and contract
carriage and to direct movement from point of origin to destination.
(b) Portable tank containers containing Class 2 (gases) materials
shall be loaded on motor vehicles only as follows:
(1) Onto a flat floor or platform of a motor vehicle.
(2) Onto a suitable frame of a motor vehicle.
(3) In either such case, such containers shall be safely and
securely blocked or held down to prevent movement relative to each other
or to the supporting structure when in transit, particularly during
sudden starts and stops and changes of direction of the vehicle.
(4) Requirements of paragraphs (1) and (2) of this paragraph (b)
shall not be construed as prohibiting stacking of containers provided
the provisions of paragraph (3) of this paragraph (b) are fully complied
with.

States may have their own rules regarding transportation of gas cylinders but most regs I suspect mirror the federal regs to a great extent or defer to them completely. I'd alos bet that 90% of the time the average LEO has no clue what local ordinances may be regarding portable gas cylinders.

Maybe he was, maybe not. In any event, a high presure vessel is not the same as a bag of groceries or a stack of books.

And cars aren't the same thing as trucks. Anytime you are in a major accident - scuba tank or not - there is a chance of being severely injured.

Check your owners manual. A lot of new cars have a secured anchor point baby and child seats that tether attaches to. If your really concerned you might be able to tie them to that anchor point.

I haven't had a ticket in over 12 years. I am no longer in a hurry to get from point a to point b and allow myself extra time just in case. With increased cost of gas I have cut back my speed from 65 to 70 on the hwy to 55 - 60. For the kiddies out there the speed limit used to be 55 MPH help conserve gas and reduce accidents. There are nodive stickers or any thing that indicates I dive on any vehicle. This helps to prevent would be theives from trying and if the CHP or cop gets a bug about scuba tanks they no reason to pull me over!

In my SUV, I used a bungee cord hooked to the child seat anchors on the back of the back seats to strap four tanks vertically across the back cargo area. It was the only place we could think of to secure them where they would be fairly out of the way and not impeded loading any other gear in. It worked out very well and was even perfectly legal in every state we passed through!

In my little sedan however, they get laid horizontally (parallel to the bumper) and secured in by packing other stuff around them to hold them in place. Makes it difficult to pack anything else in the trunk though so the gear bag has to go in the backseat. I'm working on getting a little 4 by 8 trailer to pull it all in.

On the TV show "Mythbusters", they showed how a frozen chicken, could crush an aircraft windshield. So, next time you are at the market, make sure you have lots of bungie cords to prove you are legal to purchase Sunday Dinner!!! :)

Cops making up laws again. That is the duty of congress.

N

I'm sure a loose tank in the back seat could be a danger in the event of an accident. So could a bag of groceries, a stack of books, a bowling ball,

Or a child. I lay them across the backseat and secure them with the seatbelts, which are designed and tested to secure much heavier things in a collision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom