Scuba Tank Transporting - Are you safe and legal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DOT regs apply only to interstate, intrastate and foreign commerce and the average diver going to and from home, dive shop and dive site is not engaged in commerce, as he/she is a customer transporting the gas for his/her own use, not for resale:

I think you'll find Washington takes that to include anyone using a road used in interstate commerce, or a road built or maintained with any amount of federal funds. Any traffic control signals installed or upgraded in the past 10 years involved federal money.

The interstate commerce clause is the single most stretched definition in the history of human language.

I believe the "upright rule" has limitations in WHO has to do it...see the DOT regs cited in a previous post. I see that in practice all the time on roads and highways in my state (Texas). For example, there are many welding contractors who routinely carry ascetylene and oxygen cylinders on their welding trucks/trailers in PRONE positions, although they are usually "built in" or secured with chains, etc... However, they are not required to be upright and capped (they are usually attached to regulators and ready for business. I have never even heard of a private individual being stopped or cited for violations concerning these or any other compressed gas tanks.

[/B]

I think you'll find Washington takes that to include anyone using a road used in interstate commerce, or a road built or maintained with any amount of federal funds. Any traffic control signals installed or upgraded in the past 10 years involved federal money.

The interstate commerce clause is the single most stretched definition in the history of human language.

I know that DA is correct and that you are not.

N

Or a child. I lay them across the backseat and secure them with the seatbelts, which are designed and tested to secure much heavier things in a collision.

Is it legal to carry children horizontal in your state? :confused:

This sounds like a load of nonsense.... This is how we do it:

Picture_107_Medium_.jpg

I always felt that those gasoline tanker trucks should be oriented with the long dimension in the vertical direction, as opposed to being transported with the long dimension in the horizontal direction :popcorn:

The reason welding tanks are transported vertically is so that the driver/delivery guy can unload and load them. Imagine, if you would, the guy having to lift each of those heavy tanks each time he wanted to off load a couple of tanks at the local welding shop !!! Hernia city supreme !!!

I transport my tanks in a wooden rack that keeps them from moving laterally or back and forth.

Since they're already lying down there's no way they can fall.

The bottoms of the tanks are toward the rear of the vehicle.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom