Scuba Snopes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get the e-mail about the commercial diver and the jelly fish too. Also heard, all divemasters will deliberately overweight you for their convenience.

I know a couple instructors that do this, and sadly a dive shop or 2 that also practices this as well.

You can get a PADI Open Water certification in only one weekend.

Fact: It takes slightly longer than that to complete it.

Technically speaking it does not....

Day 1: Book, Test, Pool, OW Dive 1
Day 2: Dive 2, 3, 4

Most instructors would NEVER do it like this though.

Does anyone remember the case a couple of years ago in which an Eagle ray leaped out of the water (as they sometimes do), and through horrible luck collided with the head of a woman who was in a motorboat traveling at high speed? She was knocked backward and hit her head on a metal railing, which killed her.

When I heard it from a friend who could not believe I could scuba dive with such dangerous creatures, the story was that a sting ray had purposely climbed onto a boat and attacked the woman, striking her with its barbed tail as a part of its assault. I said, "Nah!!", but everyone in the vicinity assured me it was true.

TRUE: Eagle Ray Soars Into Boat, Slams Woman | NBC 6 South Florida

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

Technically speaking it does not....

Day 1: Book, Test, Pool, OW Dive 1
Day 2: Dive 2, 3, 4

Most instructors would NEVER do it like this though.

e-elearning at home
Day 1: AM paperwork, quick quiz, & pool Confined 1-3
PM Open Water 1 & 2
Issue: PADI Scuba Diver cert.
Day 2: AM pool confined 4 & 5
PM Open Water 3 & 4
Issue: PADI Open Water Diver cert.

No, I don't like it.
Yes, it does happen in resort areas.

Back when I was a resort instructor, I taught a number of 2 day classes, 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. I'm not proud of my accomplishment, but I dove with 2 students I certified that way 20 years ago and they were fine divers. I dove with them in December....

CLAIM: A diver swimming in a waterway gets too close to a grate and then gets sucked into the intake pump of a nuclear reactor and only survived because he got diverted into a holding pond instead of the main pump.

FACT! It was the Port St. Lucie Power Plant in S. Florida. I did a refueling of that power plant a few months after the incident. Everyone was still talking about it, and it was listed in the accident/incident log.

I dove there last summer. The intakes are NOT protected and suck very hard.

And just to chime in on one more cause I am bored right now. A dive master can not intentionally overweight you to make life easier for them if you act as an independent diver and chose your own weights. Now when you ask "how much weight do I need" most boat DMs might be inclined to say a number that is over-weighted for you so that you don't need to climb back on the boat 2-3 times. Keep a good log book ask say "I need 6lbs of lead please" and you will not get 8.

And just to chime in on one more cause I am bored right now. A dive master can not intentionally overweight you to make life easier for them if you act as an independent diver and chose your own weights. Now when you ask "how much weight do I need" most boat DMs might be inclined to say a number that is over-weighted for you so that you don't need to climb back on the boat 2-3 times. Keep a good log book ask say "I need 6lbs of lead please" and you will not get 8.

We usually have the opposite problem. We tell them what we need and they want to argue that it is too much. If we give in we end up swimming down for 3 minutes on the safety stop or bringing up a rock with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom