Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually on the boat is captain liable, once diving or in water it is Inst/DM who is paid for Discover scuba. So yes grey area the student is in the water, yet so is the boat, I see all will get some charges and all sued if things were not ligit.

Mike, it sounds like they brought it up thinking that once it was pumped out it would float itself? (that reserve buoyancy thing)

But it sank again due to some unknown way of water intake, perhaps?

you're missing the point of my post.

If you don't place the lift bags properly, you can't pump it out because you can't get the gunwales above the water line.

You have to cradle the hull with lift bags/straps and not just tie them to the gunwale davits. you can't pump it out until you do that.

Reactions: Jax
you're missing the point of my post.

If you don't place the lift bags properly, you can't pump it out because you can't get the gunwales above the water line.

You have to cradle the hull with lift bags/straps and not just tie them to the gunwale davits. you can't pump it out until you do that.

Got it - thanks! :thumb:

you are an Instructor and your saying you are not responsible for a discover scuba student. In this instance I bet all are guilty. And yes when you murder a diver you should go to prison and when I say murder it means you did not help your discover scuba student get out of the boat when sinking. More or less any Instructor or D/M being paid should have made sure they were out of the boat before themselves got out, plus they know the area and the dive site. The captain retrieved aimee and amit, why did the Inst/DM not help the captain, let alone any other experienced diver that was on the boat.

You use the term murder pretty freely, what part of this was premeditated

mur·der
/ˈmərdər/

Noun:
The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
Verb:
Kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation.

I have a question that I hope is not off topic.
I told my wife, we are both newbies, about this incident and her first question was..."where was the instructor when this happened?"
My question is this...I am assuming that during a discover scuba dive the instructor is somewhat responsible for the students safety because the student is not a certified scuba diver. So is the instructor also somewhat responsible for the safety of the students while on the boat going to and from the dive site?
To the instructors out there...please do not flame me if the answer to this question is no...I am just wondering!

The instructor could very well have been involved with making sure his students were safe during this ordeal, but there are only so many people the instructor can tend to at any one time; he(she) may have been ensuring the safety of those on the surface.

Let me rephrase(I was about to board a red-eye after a long birthday weekend in Vegas when I wrote the original post)
I really wasn't referring to legal liability with my question. I was just wondering if, as an instructor, when the boat starts sinking would you feel any responsibility for helping the students safely get off the boat, or is that completely up to the captain?

Murder 1 2 or 3 even manslaughter, cruiser thats the ? there was no mention of INST/DM, is what makes me thinks they were not certified or insured like the boat failed CG inspec, and the fact some agency shut them right down the next day.

Let me rephrase(I was about to board a red-eye after a long birthday weekend in Vegas when I wrote the original post)
I really wasn't referring to legal liability with my question. I was just wondering if, as an instructor, when the boat starts sinking would you feel any responsibility for helping the students safely get off the boat, or is that completely up to the captain?

Yes, I would, but not because I'm an instructor. I would try to assist all on board. But if I was unable to rescue any or all, should I be blamed for their death liked some are suggesting??

Yes, I would, but not because I'm an instructor. I would try to assist all on board. But if I was unable to rescue any or all, should I be blamed for their death liked some are suggesting??

No. At worst you failed to render assistance which, depending on your position (in life and on the boat) could come with consequences. None of your actions would have directly lead to the death of an individual (assuming you did not in any way prohibit their escape to safety). Murder? Ridiculous.

Reactions: Jax
My view would be that the boat owners are responsible for the seaworthiness of the craft, the captain for how it is operated as well as when and how to abandon ship, while the Instructor is only responsible for the dive itself and the training that prepared for it. This is America so anyone can get sued for anything, and a jury of amateurs can make the calls, but I do not see the Inst as responsible for the divers once on the boat - other than treatment of inwater injuries.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom