Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

, part of the reason this boat (Get Wet) wasn't inspected by anyone is because they didn't carry insurance of any type. The CG didn't inspect them, nor did any insurance company .

What's scarier ..... is that Scuba Shack's owner is supposedly starting a new venture as a Live Aboard operation. (in the Bahamas)

or was before "all this happened".

I hadn't thought of it, but since the boat was 30 years old, the builder will likely be out of business and the naval architect retired.

What's scarier ..... is that Scuba Shack's owner is supposedly starting a new venture as a Live Aboard operation. (in the Bahamas)

or was before "all this happened".

Are you talking about this from their facebook page posted on Dec 8th? The accident happened on or about Dec 18th.
[h=6]Key Largo Scuba Shack
[/h][h=6]If you haven’t heard…..Key Largo Scuba Shack is expanding. Chris and Ali are in Bimini in the Bahamas getting ready for the opening of the Bimini Scuba Shack on December 20th. We’ll also be introducing our luxury live-aboard custom dive cruiser, debuting June 2012. We have Grand Opening specials for diving in Bimini, and for the Southern Sport Live-Aboard. There are year end specials on equipment and beginning of year specials on dives at the Key Largo Scuba Shack. Check out the website for more information[/h]

I was told yesterday by another operator that the other victim is not responsive. Very sad for all involved.[/QUOTE

I sure hate to hear that. We will have to pray for miracles..
Very sad..

Has anyone heard anything about a below the waterline failure, that would account for the second sinking

Last edited:
This is a train wreck. Why anyone would even attempt to compete with a schlock operation between Jewfish and Tavernier Creek is beyond me.

Caveat Emptor, divers. Do your homework. Look at the shop, the condition of the equipment, the boats, the demeanor of the staff and crew before you take the plunge. Don't rely on website gloss or hyped up reviews.

We seem to be getting a lot of poor info on this accident. The boat in question has no cabin door. The hatches on the deck could not block access or cause the boat to sink by not being sealed. The only things we know for certain is that the boat sank, 2 people died and that this was a tragic accident.
Now from looking at the boat if you were all the way forward by the helm and she sunk from the stern you could get "trapped" behind the bow windows and that would require you to swim down and out the side of the boat- something a panicked person might not do or do fast enough. Also with the stern canopy and the side supports for the roof these "exits" may have been restricted.
Without a detailed factual report we may never know what caused the sinking of this boat - there have been some things put forward that the boat may have been not well maintained which may have caused a problem or they may have had some other problem. Hopefully a few people that have read about this will pay a little better attention to safety briefings, they will take a little time to figure out how to exit the boat in worse case scenarios and maybe realize that even on the best maintained boat with a very experienced captain things can go wrong and you need to be prepared.

I don't know how much stock I would place in the exact wording of that article. It was published the day after the incident (I read it then), has a generic photo of a CG vessel, and is rather short. It has the feel of an "initial" article.

"Trapped within the hull" makes it sound like an area below decks, and I'm not sure that applies here, exactly. Not that we know for sure yet, but it sounds like they may have been trapped partially within the superstructure/above deck. I'm not clear whether the boat was upside down, just down by the stern, or exactly how it was oriented though, so "within the hull" is possible, granted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom