Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is called a sentinal event
aka "near miss" to those in accident analysis (airliine industry, medicine)

thank god for his buddy team.

the shop and the diver and ALL of us should be looking at our protocols and procedures to ensure this won't happen again.

i haven't heard of the shop initiating a checklist driven procedure for servicing regs. then they could say look at the box that says "we tightened the regulator", end of story.
i haven't heard the shop say "we are inservicing all out technicians as to proper reinstallation - just in case"
i HAVE seen several posts about divers checking tightness of connections and examining their equip pre dive.

which group is showing they learned something??? the shop or the divers??
not the shop from what i've seen.

no, we get a bull**** runaround by everyone here about who's fault/who's paying for what/he didn't service them enough/ and the universal sob story about "my reputation's been hurt".

god , are we doomed to see this happen over and over. preventable equipment failures due to carelessness!!

there was a diver in newfoundland who died recently and his 2nd stage had come off. it may not have been the terminal event but it contributed.

think about it
i'm out

dave

Scuba Sciences:
It seems to me that many of the Arizona SB members don't want to see the truth that we made every attempt to correct this situation with the customer quickly and privately.

Every attempt except refunding his money.

When something that you're responsible for goes wrong you tanke responsibility for it and make it right, not right in your eyes but right in the eyes of the customer.

Scuba Sciences:
It seems to me that many of the Arizona SB members don't want to see the truth that we made every attempt to correct this situation with the customer quickly and privately.

The end result is negative publicity against my company that is not warranted, and I have spent a lot of time responding to SB, to no avail.

You've got to be kidding, right? You made EVERY attempt? All he wanted was his money back! You didn't even attempt the one thing the customer asked for! Great business sense you guys have out in AZ. :shakehead

WOW!

6000+ page views. By far the most popular thread I have ever seen in the AZ Forum.

Most of the time, the only SBers posting in here are AZ folks or people visiting AZ looking for divers. I'd like to thank all the non-AZers for stopping in and giving their valuable and constructive comments. Hopefully, you'll check in more often.

Thank you!

John

scubajcf:
WOW!

6000+ page views. By far the most popular thread I have ever seen in the AZ Forum.

Most of the time, the only SBers posting in here are AZ folks or people visiting AZ looking for divers. I'd like to thank all the non-AZers for stopping in and giving their valuable and constructive comments. Hopefully, you'll check in more often.

Yes... it is indeed amazing, but this thread should have already been 'dead' by now. (meaning it should have been 'settled').

This was a simple case of a customer who was not happy. (and for good reason)

Any shop in this situation should have said "What can we do to keep our customer happy and to make this right?"

Instead they post a barrage of "shifting blame" and not taking ownership of the problem, regardless of fault.

I know they offered later to rebuilt his reg again, but I understand the frustration and 'loss of confidence' with the shop by this customer. You screw up the brakes on my car, I'm unlikely to let you fix them again to make it right.

I think if the shop here had said "we made a mistake & what can we do to make it right?" at the very beginning, then everyone would have been singing their praises and posting Kudo's.

mike_s:
I think if the shop here had said "we made a mistake & what can we do to make it right?" at the very beginning, then everyone would have been singing their praises and posting Kudo's.

I think that if the shop has simply said "Customer satisfaction is our number one goal. Our shop tech has X number of years of service and will be happy to overhaul the regulator again, with the customer present, to identify the issue. While we stand by our tech and his work, we are happy to refund the customer's service fee." this would have gone away almost immediately. As it stands, this is a long way from going away, and thanks to the archival nature of the internet this will never truly die.

Stephen Ash:
I don't know... I don't think a refund is the answer.
I agree. I don't see anything being done to keep the same thing from happening again.

IXΘYΣ:
I agree. I don't see anything being done to keep the same thing from happening again.

You hit the nail on the head there also.

Rich Murchison asked this exact question in post #124
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2684053&postcount=124

Rick Murchison:
scubapig52:
Your(sic) wrong I do care , we do everything for our customers "read the posts "...and the replays from us .

So, are you changing anything about the way you check outgoing regs that you've worked on?

I am. Instead of relying on the "torque as I go" during reassembly followed by a final leak & performance check, I'm adding a "once around the regulator" torque check to the final leak check.
Rick

Scuba Sciences did reply the next day, but it was the same 'song & dance' (post #159)

I concur with you, I see nothing that they learned from this that is beind done to keep this from happening again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom