Scuba Police @ Philadelphia Quarry, TN (Lambertsen rebreather trials)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Test in a trough, rebuild on something relatively flatish
test in a trough, or bucket and take it diving anywhere

Picnics is for picnic benches, and fiddling is for fiddlers

Which leads to no parts drowning court and less stupid

Other than determining weighting and buoyancy for a new BC or equipment configuration I see no other piece of gear that can't be tested on the bench or in a tub of water.
I have fixed problems that have arisen during a dive to previously tested equipment but I don't take equipment that I am not confidant will work on a dive with the intent to fix it on the boat or beach if it doesn't work .

I need to come dive in Tennessee...
If you do, you better PM me! :wink:
...I find trimming my finger nails with my 18 inch long Seas Hawk knife sends them packing. Well, another tactic, I learned it from the infamous "Broxton Chuck", spritz your equipment with Old Hawk whiskey and maybe even take a gulp, then stumble into the water, or crawl, while singing Dixie and yelling Yahooooooooo, generally have the whole place to myself. N
:rofl3::rofl3:
You should try Loch Low Minn...
Yep, I find it to be a better dive site. The only time I did Philly, a couple years ago; the water was fine. It was what occurs at top that I did NOT like. We were just about the first there. We unloaded, set up on the table near the water, when some class comes in and tells us to move, that is their regular reserved spot. Being me , I told them to eat some gravel. The owners(?) tell us yes, it is their spot and kindly relocate. (Thanks for the heads up when paying) So we do, get in the water and actually enjoy the quarry. When we get out for our SI, our second choice of table has a crew on it and our gear is on the ground. That went over like a turd in a punch bowl. Got that straightened out quick and then the staff comes to get tanks for air fills. Loaded up the truck and off they go. 1.5 hrs. later we hear the truck coming back. Tanks are not strapped in and are bouncing and clanging all over the bed of the truck.:shakehead: Finally to top it off, when leaving, we stop to pay for the air fills and the guy there keeps trying to take my tanks and didn't seem to understand the money was for fills not rentals. I have not been back. Didn't mean to make this a rant or bash about Philly.

If you do, you better PM me! :wink:

:rofl3::rofl3:
Yep, I find it to be a better dive site. The only time I did Philly, a couple years ago; the water was fine. It was what occurs at top that I did NOT like. We were just about the first there. We unloaded, set up on the table near the water, when some class comes in and tells us to move, that is their regular reserved spot. Being me , I told them to eat some gravel. The owners(?) tell us yes, it is their spot and kindly relocate. (Thanks for the heads up when paying) So we do, get in the water and actually enjoy the quarry. When we get out for our SI, our second choice of table has a crew on it and our gear is on the ground. That went over like a turd in a punch bowl. Got that straightened out quick and then the staff comes to get tanks for air fills. Loaded up the truck and off they go. 1.5 hrs. later we hear the truck coming back. Tanks are not strapped in and are bouncing and clanging all over the bed of the truck.:shakehead: Finally to top it off, when leaving, we stop to pay for the air fills and the guy there keeps trying to take my tanks and didn't seem to understand the money was for fills not rentals. I have not been back. Didn't mean to make this a rant or bash about Philly.

It was my new tank first time out with it. It still has Chevrolet rust on it. Damn thing will never work right again. Also the guy try to charge me for an extra fill maybe he was charging this fee due to the lengthy fill or by the scratch and dent they put on my tank, or by the hour.

Edit: I should of known it was a bad place to go when we put our money in a slot in a barn door, crossed into the farmers cow pasture and crossed a ridge. I mean I know I live in the south but good grief!

They were probably charging you for the dents and scratches your tank put in their truck.:D

They were probably charging you for the dents and scratches your tank put in their truck.:D

No the truck was a real piece. It was a a true rust bucket. :D

...maybe he was charging this fee due to the lengthy fill ...
I remember wondering if they used a bicycle tire pump; it took so long and there wasn't that many people that day.

You really would have enjoyed my view from the rear the other weekend when we passed that class at the bus.All masks were aimed at,and following, you and Henry.Even the instructor.Did you happen to hear the muffled huh huh huh of me laughing?:D

I'm a new diver,though a bit older than most.I'll dive with you vintage guys anytime.Not only is it a hoot to be in the water seeing the very gear that I saw on TV as a child,but it is very educational as well.I've learned more in 2 or 3 dives about using your lungs for control than any class could teach.As for the scuba police....*muffled* huh huh huh...

Hate I missed the faces, I stop and watch for a while if I need to "say hello" the the instructor, otherwise I just pass by. I know a good many of the instructors but I don't recall who that class was.
I will be happy to put you in some real dive gear any time so you too can turn heads. :)

Other than determining weighting and buoyancy for a new BC or equipment configuration I see no other piece of gear that can't be tested on the bench or in a tub of water.
I have fixed problems that have arisen during a dive to previously tested equipment but I don't take equipment that I am not confidant will work on a dive with the intent to fix it on the boat or beach if it doesn't work .

How about an early Healthways Scuba with the membrane exhaust? Mine seemed to work fine until I actually had it submerged and up behind my head.

I really don't trust any regulator until I have tested it a couple times on easy dives.

Edmonds Underwater Park is the only place I know where there really ARE scuba police ... and they will write you a ticket for solo diving, or for using a DPV within the park. Some folks do it anyway ... I've been known to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,

I was diving with Bruce Higgins both times. When you dive with Bruce, no one says much about your equipment. (For those who don't know, Bruce Higgins built Edmonds Underwater Park himself, with teams who come in and volunteer time with him. He and I go back a ways, to our time at Oregon State University in the early 1970s, diving with the OSU Sea Beavers dive club.)

John

Back
Top Bottom