Scuba Police @ Philadelphia Quarry, TN (Lambertsen rebreather trials)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep us posted re: the rebreather. There is one on display at the Museum where I work, which is one of the two that currently exists, Lambertsens' LARU.

What museum is that, Airleron? Sounds like a neat place to work; they must some of the rarest dive gear if that's the case. Speaking of that, what's strange is, I've got this OSS diving video, and the Lambertsen in that video is actually a different model than this other WWII one I"m working on; the one in the video is actually a backpack, made out of perforated sheet metal (containing the counterlung) with a scrubber fastened to the top (just like the one I'm working on) of the perforated case. What's more is, the FFM is different; it's basically a two window WWII us gas mask, unlike the one I'm working on. That must have been Lambertsens very early varient...? Oddly enough, on the cover of the OSS vhs cassette... a picture of the one I'm working on is showing (the one with the bladder around the shoulders/neck)
Annnnyyway, onto the trials;

When I submerged, the WOB was kind of high, and as a result, too much O2 escaped past the FFM, but I found the FFM to actually be loose. The lesson I learned from using this FFM was these masks, are simply not designed to be taken on and off on a whim; once you put it on it's designed to be basically welded to your face temporarily; it's just not practical to take it on and off repetitively, as tight as you have to fasten it, especially, so given that, I can see why Lambertsen made such a complex DSV, you really need a popoff valve, surface valve, waterdrain valve... all that good stuff, for using a FFM like this to be remotely practical. It's amazing just how different an experience it is, than just using a mouthpiece.
Never the less, I submerged for a few moments to check things out, once I got: situated.
Man, what a weird experience. You talk about a different experience to open circuit. The most distinct sensations were, the mask being pressed up against my face (is that how a FFM normally feels?) A strange tugging sensation on my back, as if I was dragging a surface buoy on the back of the LARU; I surfaced, blew out some of the oxygen, then submerged, going a bit deeper. Everything was going OK till my mask was taking on water near the mouth, come to find out, the piece of plumbing i press fit to the ball valve got a bit loose. It took me a while to figure out what happened. But other than that one thing, and the WOB issues, it worked great. I think what accounts for the WOB is, the sodalime was packed extremely tight up against the wall of the scrubber (as, from my understanding, it should be)
unlike last time. I used a dapple plate, and spring to compress the sodalime up against the wall of the scrubber, and I used a 3/8" buna-n o-ring inside, after the first layer of sodalime (similar to the patent prints) to prevent inner diameter channeling. Anyway, I know right off the bat some ways to help the WOB, just drill more holes in the dapple plate :p
Honestly, just because I got the mask watertight doesn't mean I should start using it yet, think I'll use a mouthpiece next time to add just rebreather testing dynamics to the situation, rather than mask AND rebreather testing. Probably should put the mouthpiece on till I get a highly sophisticated Lambertsen DSV made. I've got the plumbing to a Pirelli WWII ARO as well, need to get it going to have an alternate RB to use in case the MUCH more complex Lambertsent still has issues next time. Lol... the ARO was basically just a can, bag and hose, not much there to troubleshoot. Of course, I'm sure it will have it's limits compared to the Lambertsen.... anyway... see you guys!

Kimsey0, Nemrod has been around a while and doesn't varnish his words

"varnish his words"? Talk about downplaying it. I'd say a more accurate statement would be,

"Nemrod doesn't hide the evidence he was raised in a barn"

I've been on the vintage scuba supply forum since the early 2000's if it's the same Nemrod, he actually had to apologize to me once there.

I don't care how long someone's been around...
There's simply no excuse for loud, bigoted comments, obviously designed to specifically make yourself look superior, and make the person on the receiving end, and his practices look lesser/inferior... look at how long SeaRat has been around... do you see him behaving like that? H*ll no...

And yeah, I remember you too, duckbill. Hi again...

What would of been really funny is if the INSTRUCTOR :) had been diving a Titan....exact same first stage in a different skin. I pretty much ignore these guys but I never miss the oppertunity to go hover around their class and demonstrate how it is really done.

You really would have enjoyed my view from the rear the other weekend when we passed that class at the bus.All masks were aimed at,and following, you and Henry.Even the instructor.Did you happen to hear the muffled huh huh huh of me laughing?:D

I'm a new diver,though a bit older than most.I'll dive with you vintage guys anytime.Not only is it a hoot to be in the water seeing the very gear that I saw on TV as a child,but it is very educational as well.I've learned more in 2 or 3 dives about using your lungs for control than any class could teach.As for the scuba police....*muffled* huh huh huh...

It’s been a number of years since I was teaching but I do recall being told that as an insured, currently active instructor you never, never give any advice or feedback to divers that you are not directly responsible for. If you see some fool struggling to get in the water with 95 pounds of lead on their weight belt and you tell them, “Hey man, you got way too much weight on.” You have now become responsible and liable for them. If that diver takes five pounds off their belt, staggers in to the ocean and drowns with a 90 pound weight belt, you were the last instructor to give them advice. You could be taken to court.

At one time, I might have thought that scenario to be outrageously hyperbolic but now with divers being sued by their deceased dive buddy’s estate, maybe it’s good advice not to interact with other divers.

It’s just one more reason that instructors traveling to do their own personal diving never show their instructor card. I have actually heard from a number of instructors, “When I’m doing my own diving, I show the lowest ranking card that will get me on the boat.”

You should try Loch Lowe Minn. They have a Tech. diver taking care of the place which includes airfills. I am shore if you are current on Hydro and vis. he will fill any tank even the 72s. I would also wager he would love to see the OP vintage gear. I believe his name is Luke you should give LLM a chance and enjoy the Paddlefish.

"varnish his words"? Talk about downplaying it....

I admit I got that phrase from the new "True Grit":wink:

Old Nemrod came to my defense a time or two when nobody else would. I feel a certain amount of indebtedness to him for that. In those instances he was a true diplomat ('ya reading this, James?:D). OTOH, I know he rubs some people the wrong way, though there's usually some truth in what he says. Each has to judge based on his own experiences.

Eegads, I hope you remember me in a good way:( Hey, we're all vintage equipment divers, out to enjoy the fun of the underwater world just like in the "old days" before profit became king and "tech" and DIR turned the sport into pseudo-rocket science. If you're ever out to the northern California area, let's dive!

Last edited:
What museum is that, Airleron? Sounds like a neat place to work;

I'm administrator at The National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum, in Florida. We have a display of Lambertsen's LARU rebreather he invented in the 30's and then was used by the OSS and then UDT/SEALs in the 40's through the 70's

It's the best job I've ever had, bar none. :D

BTW, I've had a HP port o ring extrude and leak during a dive on my Phoenix. Had to abort, go to a picnic table and replace it. But that can happen on ANY current reg too. Sh*t happens to all of us, vintage AND modern.

Lisa

I might be taking this wrong but I doubt it - no two ways to take commentary like this; Quite frankly Nemrod, I don't appreciate it - it's uncalled for.

Anyway... The only way to test *some* things is when you're in the water... if your implication was my "style" as you put it is to go in the water with non working equipment, that is certainly not the case. The fault was with the instructor.

And trust me, in this situation, it had nothing to do with prejudice toward "junk divers" this guy simply didn't know his own @$$... please don't twist it into something it's not. (No alternate air, no BC... does that sound like prejudice toward "junk divers" or "vintage divers" I'd say the latter...)

Anyway, as for all the other posts, thanks for the comments, I'll post about the Lambertsen soon.

It is what it is, often the negative attention garnered is deserved, to me, in this case, it did not look to the observers that you knew what you were doing. You can test equipment in a pool.

"varnish his words"? Talk about downplaying it. I'd say a more accurate statement would be,

"Nemrod doesn't hide the evidence he was raised in a barn"

I've been on the vintage scuba supply forum since the early 2000's if it's the same Nemrod, he actually had to apologize to me once there.

I don't care how long someone's been around...
There's simply no excuse for loud, bigoted comments, obviously designed to specifically make yourself look superior, and make the person on the receiving end, and his practices look lesser/inferior... look at how long SeaRat has been around... do you see him behaving like that? H*ll no...

The rest of the diatribe, yawn. Whatever other post you might be talking about, I probably apologized only to prevent a dust up, if I might, please retract it and expect none this time. I can see why you got my attention, then and now, and why the negative reactions from the divers at the quarry.

N

Why in the world would you want to pay to test gear in a pool when you can test it in open water for free? If I go to a pool I have a very limited number of hours available, equipment restrictions, fees, much longer distances to travel and in at least one of the few public pools, water that only comes up to my waist. No thank you, I'll continue to test my gear in the Sound.

And old, untested gear doesn't always work right. Big deal. That's why you're testing it in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom