Trip Report Scuba Gear Suddenly Not allowed as carry on from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jay. Very good advice indeed. After all, a free package of Lorna Doone's is nothing to sneeze at!

Our first encounter with AAir was, to quote a wise man, a total sheetshow from start to finish, both directions. We've never experienced anything so maddening in all the years of flying Delta - but the thought of lugging 200 lbs of gear from Cancun... ugh. Though, after this disaster, that thought isn't near as frightening.

Thanks again.

I don't know...I think I'd stick with flying into Cozumel. We had absolutely disastrous flights with Delta into CUN. Seriously - so bad that when I got the email asking for feedback I practically wrote an essay. LOL! I saved what I wrote to them and was going to submit the feedback after getting back to the US for fear they'd cancel our return flight. By the time we got back, Delta would no longer let me leave the feedback. AA is a mess these days, but at least I don't end up angry by the time I arrive at destination. My husband, who is much more easy going, was extremely unhappy with Delta. It's really too bad about what flying with US airlines has become. It used to be an enjoyable thing, but the airlines in the US have clearly put profit way way way over service.

ETA: I should add that I have no problem with making a profit, but companies should still treat their customers well.

Deleted. Accidentally asked a question that was already answered.

One of these is overweight which when checked incurs an additional fee (which is why we carry it on.)

this is an interesting statement

Interesting thread.
We came back yesterday and had no issue with all my wife's gear as carry on. (Her gear is MUCH more expensive than mine and she doesn't let it leave her side.)
My old, hand me down gear from my wife, was in checked luggage as always.

Interesting thread.
We came back yesterday and had no issue with all my wife's gear as carry on. (Her gear is MUCH more expensive than mine and she doesn't let it leave her side.)
My old, hand me down gear from my wife, was in checked luggage as always.

I hear you. It was the first time we had any issues in over 20 trips down. I think the young Mexican security agent simply wanted to exert his authority. Ah well, live and learn.

Ok. Care to elaborate, rick?

If you carried on to avoid overweight checked, does that mean the carry on was over 70 pounds? Many international carries limit carry-on to about 7 pounds. I thought United used to be 40lbs limit for a carry-on.

If you carried on to avoid overweight checked, does that mean the carry on was over 70 pounds? Many international carries limit carry-on to about 7 pounds. I thought United used to be 40lbs limit for a carry-on.

I could see a 50+Lb. carry on setting someone off. Obviously it is well beyond a “reasonable” weight, but with three carry-ons one should be able to redistribute the load. If not, be thankful you have gotten away with doing this before with no problems.

Another option is premium cabin. My sons mother is completely incapable of traveling “light” or within any reasonable weight or baggage limits. First Class is perfect for her. If she travels coach it is a guaranteed fiasco.

I could see a 50+Lb. carry on setting someone off. Obviously it is well beyond a “reasonable” weight, but with three carry-ons one should be able to redistribute the load. If not, be thankful you have gotten away with doing this before with no problems.
We used to do that with the big lead acid can lights, etc. Stuff backplate, regs, can light, backup lights and all the heavy stuff into a backpack and wear it on and check everything else.

Checked bags under weight limit - no problem. God I hope they don't notice me straining under this backpack and ask me to weigh it.

Allow me to amend my earlier statement... We don't check this particular Pelican Case due to weight per se, but because it has five sets of regs, four computers, several canister lights, etc., items we'd rather not leave to the mercy of the baggage handlers.

Honestly, I've never had an airline weigh our carry-on bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom