Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't aware of any prohibition within climbing on the use of load bearing caribiners?!?

The thing that comes to my mind is the typical use of both a locking and non-locking biner when you tie into your harness.

But I never heard of 'suicide clips' until the diving rendition.

I have to disagree with your hose swivel opinion. I don't want 7' of hose wrapped around my neck (personal preference, YMMV), but I do like my second stage Miflex hose led under my armpit and then through a Zeagle swivel. It's very compact, streamlined, and comfortable.

The seven foot hose is not wrapped around the neck.

I agree with the OP's list except for Retractor Clips. My wife and I use them on our AI computer consoles (Cobra) and like them. We've had no real problems, excepting that they seem to have a useful life of only about 2 years. IMO they are easier to use than bolt snaps.
I like the idea of retractors, but not the execution. I used to have my compass attached to one, since I rarely used it but liked to have it available. I dispensed with it even before the little bit of technical training I had, because it really didn't hold my compass that closely--between the attachments and the retractor itself it hung six inches or more from my body.

My new favorite gadget is my EEZYCUT "Trilobite" line cutter.

Thanks, RJP - I just ordered two of them.

I like the idea of retractors, but not the execution. I used to have my compass attached to one, since I rarely used it but liked to have it available. I dispensed with it even before the little bit of technical training I had, because it really didn't hold my compass that closely--between the attachments and the retractor itself it hung six inches or more from my body.

Six inches is about right, but I hook my retractor to a hole in the backplate, which puts the Cobra high and tight on my left hip.

I'd have to say my neoprene shorts with pockets are great. They get pockets off my hog harness and I can use them with either my wetsuit or drysuit.

I like my hose swivel (a 90 degree elbow on my left post first stage). Since I don't have a scubapro MK25, atomic or hog with a LP port on the end, this works great for hose routing.
There is no way that I can route the hose neat and tidy without it.

Here is a gadget that I hope is good. I just shelled out $50 for a Jon Line.

Seems they are impossible to get hold of and have had it on order for about a month . . . bad sign?

Here is a gadget that I hope is good. I just shelled out $50 for a Jon Line.
Good addition. A jon line is a great 'gadget'. Don't know what you bought, or where. But, $50 seems just a bit on the high side. I have made them by purchasing a garvin hook from Northeast Scuba Supply for $10, and adding some 1 inch webbing from REI. Or, you can get them from NESS with hook and webbing for <$40.
Seems they are impossible to get hold of and have had it on order for about a month . . . bad sign?
Strange that jon lines would be in short supply - not questioning your experience at all, rather observing that there isn't any particular reason I am aware of for that being the case.

Don't know what you bought. . .

Bought a Dive Rite jon line in New York.

Found that shops here don't seem to carry them (called 3 shops in NY and also tried a few while I was in the Caribean last month). I guess they are not a big selling item. Eventually my LDS ordered direct from supplier for me.

Interestingly, I tried for a garvin hook, but Dive Rite said they have discontinued those, so have a caribiner.

Did not see:

Small/Medium Dry bag for your save-a-dive/spares kit and to keep your fleece jacket or top dry. My save-a-dive kit has saved many dives so far always someone elses and the fleece keeps me warm on long cool windy trips back to dock when everyone else is sitting there freezing.

If doing a live-aboard trip, buying or renting an emergency locator beacon seems a wise investment.

Small/Medium Dry bag

Yes... I agree with this. I hadn't considered it as a 'dive gadget'...but I should have! :D

If doing a live-aboard trip, buying or renting an emergency locator beacon seems a wise investment.

Providing, of course, that the local/national emergency services are equipped to track/locate beacons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom