Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad idea from your buddies point of view...mask light.

When you say "better than a tank banger," I assume that means it can't be heard by divers like me, who prefer to enjoy their dives blissfully unaware that the neophyte on the boat has just discovered his first moray eel. :wink:

:D I wish I could say that, but it can be heard quite clearly. Perhaps diving elsewhere would guard you from the neophytes. Newbies do lots of entertaining and annoying things. What ya gonna do :idk:

When you say "better than a tank banger," I assume that means it can't be heard by divers like me, who prefer to enjoy their dives blissfully unaware that the neophyte on the boat has just discovered his first moray eel. :wink:

Oh!...Oh!....Oh!....rattle!...clang!...rattle!....OMG!.....OMG!.....OMG!....

clang!...clang!....clang!...rattle!....OMG!......Oh!.....rattle!....clang!....

clang!.....clang!.....CLANG!......CLANG!.....CLANG!.......CLANG!

....."I can see Nemo".. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Perhaps diving elsewhere would guard you from the neophytes.
Yes, thanks, diving elsewhere is my usual strategy--far from neophytes or anybody else, for that matter. But I'm happy to dive with those that have picked up on the etiquette along the way.

Oh!...Oh!....Oh!....rattle!...clang!...rattle!....OMG!.....OMG!.....OMG!....

clang!...clang!....clang!...rattle!....OMG!......Oh!.....rattle!....clang!....

clang!.....clang!.....CLANG!......CLANG!.....CLANG!.......CLANG!

....."I can see Nemo".. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

I dunno - I really enjoy seeing new divers get excited about stuff. Tank bangers aside, I don't ever want to get so jaded that I don't get excited about something on every single dive... even if that excitement is derived viacariously from someone else getting jazzed over seeing a parrot fish for the first time!

:cool2:

I dunno - I really enjoy seeing new divers get excited about stuff. Tank bangers aside, I don't ever want to get so jaded that I don't get excited about something on every single dive... even if that excitement is derived viacariously from someone else getting jazzed over seeing a parrot fish for the first time!
I wouldn't describe myself as jaded. I wouldn't describe most of my dives as exciting, either. Most of them are interesting, pleasant, and serene--usually what I'm looking for. To the extent that other divers intrude upon that serenity, I get something less than I was looking for. Of course, life is full of compromises, and this is one I'm happy to make in exchange for good diving. I am also happy to share in a neophyte's excitement...as long as it happens on the boat.

Caribiners. Do the same job as bolt-snaps, but not as well. The tech community calls them 'suicide clips'...for good reason.

Actually the tech community ripped this term off from the mountain climbing community. They refer to them as "suicide clips" because it's a really bad idea to suspend yourself solely by one of these.

The tech community likes to think that the term applies to them as well since they're into "extreme diving."

Actually the tech community ripped this term off from the mountain climbing community. They refer to them as "suicide clips" because it's a really bad idea to suspend yourself solely by one of these.

The tech community likes to think that the term applies to them as well since they're into "extreme diving."

Ummm....not sure where you got this information from?!? :confused: :confused:

The scuba term 'suicide clip' pertains to a swing gate clip (not just a caribiner) because of the entanglement risk that an 'open-entry' attachment poses. It's got nothing to do with 'extreme diving' or any percieved mentality.

I wasn't aware of any prohibition within climbing on the use of load bearing caribiners?!?

agree, suicide clips are called such since they are similar to suicide doors, when you open it it traps the line inside, same way the door traps you from jumping...

I agree with the OP's list except for Retractor Clips. My wife and I use them on our AI computer consoles (Cobra) and like them. We've had no real problems, excepting that they seem to have a useful life of only about 2 years. IMO they are easier to use than bolt snaps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom