Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on trips where the DM will use them to get the attention of other divers to show them something worthwhile seeing.

I wish my DM/dive buddy on Bloody Bay Wall had one when she saw the Hammerhead cruise by and I was filming something not nearly as exciting.

So I would say they do have their occasional good use but like anything, too much of a good thing .... can lead to murder of a newby.:rofl3::no:

I disagree about the swivel. I use one on my primary reg, which is routed under my arm using Miflex hose. It's so comfortable and streamlined. However if I used a hose coiled around my neck I'd ditch both the swivel (as the angle of the hose would make it unnecessary) and the miflex (which I wouldn't want chaffing on my neck seal).

Also, while I like the Miflex LP hoses, I don't understand how the HP ones haven't been removed from sale and a product recall initiated. VERY prone to failure. They are absolute rubbish.

Here is my good/bad list, trying not repeat what others have said:

The Good
DSS bungy dive computer/gauge wrist mounts.
Expandable thigh pockets.
Drysuit gaiters (as opposed to ankle weights).
Weighted STA.
Split fins. Never had a cramp since going split (use biofins and x-pert zooms).
Small container filled with spare o-rings of various sizes.
Fold up trolley with bike lock that I can use to haul my rig from car to entry point.

The Bad
Modern electronic car keys that I can no longer take u/w clipped to a d-ring!
Any UW gear using non-marine grade stainless steel components. Grrrr
Plastic weightbelt buckles.
Jacket style BCs.
Rockboots. What's the point?
Consoles.
Yoke fittings.
Air2
Rip-off computer download cables.
Wings with bungy to compress them. Seems a bad idea to me.

My husband found that he could take his electronic key to the hardware store and have the "hard" portion of the key copied onto a non-electronic master. Now we can clip a key into a pocket and take it diving. Big improvement!

And how could I have forgotten Tobin's gauge boots . . . wonderful things! In addition, Tobin makes a dandy attachment for the end of a hose, for rinsing BC inflators, and a FANTASTIC little tool for servicing inflators, that incorporates all the "wrenches" you need into one little piece of stainless. Clever man, Tobin.

My husband found that he could take his electronic key to the hardware store and have the "hard" portion of the key copied onto a non-electronic master. Now we can clip a key into a pocket and take it diving. Big improvement! ...

I have not been able to get a non-electronic dup for my Sprinter Van, which uses an extra large key. A key lock box like realtors use works well.

Amazon.com: Master Lock 5400D Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock: Home Improvement

Word of warning: One of my van keys broke and when I picked up the replacement special ordered from Germany they made it very clear that if I tried to use it before it was programmed the truck would be disabled and would have to be towed to an authorized dealer — which is about 2 hours from me. I have no idea if this is true of all new vehicles but it would be a bummer to find out the hard way.

The Bad

Thats for sure! My car also has a keyless start so I can't just make a copy of the door key and lock the fob in my car as the doors won't lock if the fob is inside the car...

Thats for sure! My car also has a keyless start so I can't just make a copy of the door key and lock the fob in my car as the doors won't lock if the fob is inside the car...

Try putting the fob in the trunk - works on my toyota.

Try putting the fob in the trunk - works on my toyota.

nope, trunk won't stay closed, it just pops open. It's a great feature as it prevents me from locking my keys in the car, but not so great for diving. I usually just hide them...

My husband found that he could take his electronic key to the hardware store and have the "hard" portion of the key copied onto a non-electronic master. Now we can clip a key into a pocket and take it diving. Big improvement!

How do you avoid the car alarm going off when you use this you get back in?

I have not been able to get a non-electronic dup for my Sprinter Van, which uses an extra large key. A key lock box like realtors use works well.

Love the key lock box idea. How did I not think of that before! I think that padlock style one is a little small for my car key, but I'm sure there must be something out there. Thanks for the idea :D

nope, trunk won't stay closed, it just pops open. It's a great feature as it prevents me from locking my keys in the car, but not so great for diving. I usually just hide them...

Interesting, my Toyota Prius has a little key inserted into the fob. I remove it, and put the fob in the car and the little key will lock the door.

Back
Top Bottom