Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waste of money:

Fin Spring Straps They rarely break, but then rubber straps also rarely break. They do last longer than rubber straps, but they cost 20 times as much. They are probably the most over rated item ever.

Velcro Mask Straps Unless you have long hair, I see no reason to pay extra for them.

Milflex Regulator Hoses Looks good on paper, but they seem to be failing a great deal more often than traditional hoses. Maybe they'll be better after the bugs have been worked out.

EMT Shears Not worth a damn for cutting fishing line.

Interesting thread, I have most everything I want but bought myself a Lion Tamer and an Eezycut Trilobite for New Year's presents

Good diving, Craig

Waste of money:
Fin Spring Straps They rarely break, but then rubber straps also rarely break. They do last longer than rubber straps, but they cost 20 times as much. They are probably the most over rated item ever.

I think that most users would agree that the major advantage with spring straps is that they enable you to remove the fins quicker and easier than with rubber straps and QR buckles.

On the subject of the finstrap QR buckles...I've seen quite a few fail. We always keep a few spare fin straps on the boat simply because customers straps break quite regularly.

Velcro Mask Straps Unless you have long hair, I see no reason to pay extra for them.

I bought mine because the swivels on the mask frame (that hold the strap) kept breaking. Now that I am used to them, I wouldn't change back. They just make mask remove and replace much more straightforward... because they are easy to orientate and 'de-tangle'. It's a comfort issue...and I guess that is very much a personal preference.

Milflex Regulator Hoses Looks good on paper, but they seem to be failing a great deal more often than traditional hoses. Maybe they'll be better after the bugs have been worked out.

I think the main failure issue is only with the HP hoses?

Wow, Walter -- I rarely disagree with you, but I sure do today!

I don't have spring straps because I was worried about the other ones breaking. I have spring straps because I got sick and tired of struggling with fin straps, and with having fins come off. Springs, properly sized, are instant-on instant-off, and the only time I've lost a fin with them was when I kicked the entire BOOT off my foot. I watch students, time and again, struggling and fussing with donning and doffing their fins, and I want to put springs on all of them, just as an act of KINDNESS :)

It's the same with the neoprene mask straps. For guys with buzz cuts, I'm sure the rubbery ones aren't an issue. But for a woman, my hair is short -- still, the regular straps catch it and pull. They also get all twisted up in putting my mask on. I have replaced every strap on every mask I use with the neoprene, although I use the Dive X-tras ones with buckles. I do not like the Velcro.

It's the same with the neoprene mask straps. For guys with buzz cuts, I'm sure the rubbery ones aren't an issue.

Maybe I am just over-sensitive - but I find that the rubber strap still pulls on my (buzzcut) hair. It's not the biggest issue though - with a neoprene/velcro maskstrap I can easily just slip a mask on and off single handed. It's never that easy with a rubber strap.

My list:
If you like using something, use it.
If, at some point you determine that it does not fit your style of diving post it here Gear / Equipment Classifieds - ScubaBoard and buy something else.

The Scuba community will always have a handful of people that vigorously defend their gear choices, (like me and my Flip Fins, brass bolt snaps and coiled tethers) but the reality is most divers will settle into diving the gear configuration that fits their style and needs and simply ignore the naysayers.

I also like Spring Fin Straps, Apeks Harnesses, Ankle Weights, Conventional Octos, Console AI Computers, HP100 tanks, Scubapro Regulators, Whites Drysuits, Weight Belts, Cheap Masks that don't leak and Video Cameras.
But most of all, I like diving with people who love to have fun!

Interesting, my Toyota Prius has a little key inserted into the fob. I remove it, and put the fob in the car and the little key will lock the door.

That whole conversation y'all had is the reason why I like my vehicles like I like my women: Mature, Cheap, and dumb. My Jeep (if I could lock it) will never let me NOT lock my door. :wink: :D

Peace,
Greg

That whole conversation y'all had is the reason why I like my vehicles like I like my women: Mature, Cheap, and dumb. My Jeep (if I could lock it) will never let me NOT lock my door. :wink: :D

Peace,
Greg

And I like my cars like I like my women: young, expensive, and smart enough to "unlock" when I touch them. :rofl3:

The Scuba community will always have a handful of people that vigorously defend their gear choices, (like me and my Flip Fins . . .

:hm: Does that make them flippers? :)

EMT Shears Not worth a damn for cutting fishing line.

Sure as heck work better on mesh and chicken wire though... horses for courses.

Back
Top Bottom