Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They cannot be easier than my rubber straps.

What is a QR buckle?

QR = Quick Release, you know, those stupid buckles on the fins that some people use that break and get caught on everything.

I agree with the straps, been using the rubber straps on my jets for years without any problem.

Im my own personal experience, I found rubber straps to be awkward. They tend to perish if you stretch them to remove them each time ...and eventually break.

The most common way to remove standard rubber straps is to loosen the strap by depressing the 'button' on the side of the fin buckle and/or disengage the QR buckle.

fsb.jpg

That is quite an awkward process for most divers, in and out of the water. ...especially when in full scuba kit.

I see divers struggling to remove fins all the time. The spring straps really do simplify that task.

Im my own personal experience, I found rubber straps to be awkward. They tend to perish if you stretch them to remove them each time ...and eventually break.

The most common way to remove standard rubber straps is to loosen the strap by depressing the 'button' on the side of the fin buckle and/or disengage the QR buckle.

fsb.jpg

That is quite an awkward process for most divers, in and out of the water. ...especially when in full scuba kit.

I see divers struggling to remove fins all the time. The spring straps really do simplify that task.

+1!...

Walter:
Spring straps are a wee bit easier to remove when I have thick gloves on, but agree with Walter otherwise. Like Zieg, I have never had a Jet strap break, but went to spring straps so early in my Jet use that I don't have a valid window of observation. I have broken a couple of Mares (Quattro) straps, and changed to springs simply because of the hassle of actually getting replacement straps from Mares (i find the Trident straps to be inferior).

Count me in the "I love spring straps" camp. I had the standard rubber ones for eight years. Never had a failure, but they were pretty cumbersome for getting on and off. As more and more people around me were sporting spring straps and getting out of the water with much greater ease, I started to wonder. Then a pair of spring straps showed up one Christmas and the first time I tried them, I was hooked. I carry a rubber one as a spare, but other than that, I'll never go back to them.

Zieg:
QR = Quick Release, you know, those stupid buckles on the fins that some people use that break and get caught on everything.

QR, who knew? I call them FP buckles (FP=Failure Point).

DevonDiver:

True, they eventually break, but that takes about 500 - 700 dives. I'm over 2000 dives and have had 2 straps break. Those were my fault for not inspecting and replacing them before they reached that point.

DevonDiver:

X

Keep it simple, Jet Fins with rubber straps eliminates that process. Grab the strap, pull it out and down, slip off the fin. The exact same process followed with spring straps, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

DevonDiver:

They simplify a task back to where it was before it was made complicated with those FP buckles.

With springs? Already on it. Then I don't have to do it again :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom