Scuba Gadgets - what's great and what's not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to set the record straight, you can snap giant kelp like a carrot. But bull kelp won't snap. You need to use a cutting tool.

A set of spring straps does the same job... or failing that... the 'old' solution of applying some duct tape to keep your fin straps from flapping...

Or just turn the straps in so that there are no flaps.

Is this a joke? It's not April yet....

For those that can't be bothered to visit the site... the product is a neoprene 'wrap' that covers the fin straps, which "increases streamlining and prevents entanglement".

Fools and their money, Andy. Fools and their money...

Peace,
Greg

FFM + Camera + Spare Air. An interesting combination...

How do you find the photography when using FFM?

What is your emergency procedure for using Spare Air, when wearing a FFM?

I have a external LCD screen mounted on my amphibico housing so I have no issues at all.
I find I have so much more freedom in this mask I can't stand the thought of having a reg back in my mouth. I also have a spare mask if I have to switch over to the SA. I would just completely remove the FFM

I have a external LCD screen mounted on my amphibico housing so I have no issues at all.

I see. That makes sense. I just imagined that there would be a lot of glare and ambient light between the eye and the screen. Given that most photographers prefer a low-volume, black skirted mask... your choice seemed a polar opposite of that. :D

I find I have so much more freedom in this mask I can't stand the thought of having a reg back in my mouth. I also have a spare mask if I have to switch over to the SA. I would just completely remove the FFM

Yikes.. that does sound far from optimum. How have you gotten around the obvious safety issues with this configuration?

Have you practiced this a lot? What is the order of the procedure/drill?

Here's the problems I see:

1) You run out of air... remove FFM... then deploy SA blind.
2) At one point, you have no air and no vision.
3) You then have to deploy, fit and clear the reserve mask. Can't clear the mask until you are breathing again...
4) Spare Air has very minimal capacity. Of the few breaths available, you using some of them to deploy and clear your secondary mask.
5) If there were any problems or delays or failures with the deployment of the spare air, or mask, you would be in trouble.

I see. That makes sense. I just imagined that there would be a lot of glare and ambient light between the eye and the screen. Given that most photographers prefer a low-volume, black skirted mask... your choice seemed a polar opposite of that. :D

I haven't known anything different, I am self taught so if I am unorthodox it is all my fault. But no, no glare

Yikes.. that does sound far from optimum. How have you gotten around the obvious safety issues with this configuration?

Have you practiced this a lot? What is the order of the procedure/drill?

Here's the problems I see:

1) You run out of air... remove FFM... then deploy SA blind.
2) At one point, you have no air and no vision.
3) You then have to deploy, fit and clear the reserve mask. Can't clear the mask until you are breathing again...
4) Spare Air has very minimal capacity. Of the few breaths available, you using some of them to deploy and clear your secondary mask.
5) If there were any problems or delays or failures with the deployment of the spare air, or mask, you would be in trouble.

I would alert my husband through our communication
I would remove mask, go right to my SA then
start my assent
I dont need my mask cleared 100% right away. I will have some salt eye but I can live with that. as long as I can do a CESA.
I have a pretty good SAC so i know I don't have to race to the top.
If possible my husband will be right there, because even as I talk about dragging behind we do maintain pretty much constant communication with each other and 85% of the time we are within handholding reach. It is that 15% that I get distracted ect...

If I am depending on my SA for any reason I was already in trouble

It is just a tool that will give me the rest of my life to to make it to the top, with luck :D

162981_10150132615038033_608428032_7843464_7215935_n.jpg

Me with my mask. Nice big eyes to take pics with :wink:

Ah...ok.. I can see that you use a relatively low-profile FFM, with a black skirt. More appropriate to photography than others on the market.

I wouldn't choose your option for dealing with OOA. There's isn't much tolerance for anything else to go wrong, before things would get nasty. That said, if you practice it regularly...and it's within your comfort zone...and you have a regular dependable buddy, then you can get away with a lot more.

What's all that other stuff dangling from you?!? :D Gadgets galore! he he

I agree with you on my solution not being optimal. My husband had a mask failure over in Palau last year so we are a little more aware of the fragility of gear and the necessity of Situational awareness.

Hanging from my bc is SA Spare mask and SMB and AI computer tucked under my chest strap. and knife on my waistband

Then come the pockets. (God I love em) Rescue ribbon, dye pack, Dive alert on my husbands BC (since we stay closes together and I am sometimes too cheap to get doubles of everything) Spare flashlight and when we go to the wilder places.... (Not the mild diving of Cozumel)... I carry ziplock bags of water.

Yup .... because If ever I get separated I have a better chance if I am hydrated, and as little as 6 oz of water a day can keep me alive. And they find me because I will have the New Lifeline radio as soon as it is out. (X2) along with the flashing light I bring along so they don't have to stop searching at night. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom