Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our 2001 Windstar works out nice when my Wife and I go snorkeling. The middle seat just went back in after being out all summer. With the 2 sliding doors we carry the gear in the middle and each have an open slider to suit up in front of.

She made a set of curtains that string up on the 4 coat hooks so we can change to or from street clothes even if there's no facillities around. And while I'm on that topic the curtains also allow use of the porta pottie whever we are.

If I'm solo the back of my Aerostar works out fine and with 4WD I can be a little braver about where I park.

Pete

Boy, 12 pages, lots of info, I read about 6 of them and then decided to jump to the last page.

Yes, lot's discussion nice car, room, seat...

but the most important thing to me is SAFETY,SAFETY,SAFETY, and then more SAFETY.

When we go somewhere, we have lot's of gears, tanks, spear guns and shafts. I would not want all of that stuffs inside the same space with us.

I know I drive safely but the idiot next to me is the one I worry about. Imagine some drunk driver rear ended you with all the tanks and spear guns, and shafts and stuff flying toward your head or your kids head!!!!!.

I saw a pictures of some poor guy's tank exploded inside his stationwagon. Let just say picture a sardine can got opened violently....... OUCH. :frown:

And the idea of wet stuffs on the inside carpet and it will sit there and mold up.... OUCH. :11:

I got me a truck, Nissan Titan of that. Or any truck is fine. I have all the room in the back for all the equipment. If something happens, it stays in the back. Oh and I got myself a soft cover just in case we have a long drive to a dive location, the sun sure will heat up those tanks and sure don't want that to happens. Also, it protects the stuffs from the prying eyes of others.

So I say a nice pickup truck is the way to go.

frenchy07:
I like the Element, been playing with one for a year now. My lady hates it just because (and i quote) "it looks like a rubbermaid box". 1st time i saw it i hated it as well, then i drove it and fell in love. Tons of room inside, comfy seats, good ac, and a kick *** stereo. The "big" v-tech engine (strong, powerfull) with the 5 speed makes it very easy to drive (did 30 foot burnouts with the one I'm playing with). Probally the best thing i can say is the drive train is almost bulletproof (should be good for 300K), Honda engineer told me they have never had a V-Tech head failure that could not be traced to lack of lubrication (you know, putting oil in!!). Keep the oil changed and you should be one happy puppy, that is if you like tooling around in a rubbermaid box making 24 MPG.

Could the Element be ordered with V6? or is it only a 4?

Seems easy enough to calculate your cargo space needs. Arrange and pack your gear and travel luggage on a tarp, measure it, and estimate how many cubic feet you need.

Add the number of passengers and their gear (assuming they have nearly the same amount), and allow for some extra space. Narrow your choices from there (truck, wagon, van, etc..).

Consider the ease of loading/unloading. Narrow again.

Decide on 2W or 4W drive (for shore diving, climate, etc..) narrow it down some more.

Look at your pesonal preferences for manufacturer, warranties, equipment/options. List is getting shorter.

Bounce that against your budget and you're on the road.

I recommend you do on-line model comparisons and shopping on Edmunds.com

For the record, I use an F-150 Supercrew which I bought for hauling a troop of boy scouts before I took up diving. I did the above with camping gear. I like the F-150 Supercrew for the same reasons AggieDiver told you in the 1st page of posts.

Good luck!

I love the new Ford F150's and my first vehicle was a '73 and my second was an '86 ford truck. With that said, 4x4 is the way to go. If you have a nice dive spot that is easy access than hey any car will do, really. On the other hand, the quarry we go to here requires at the very least a 4 wheel drive van. I have a '99 jeep cherokee, not the grand, right now. I could tell you that I wouldn't trade it for the world. There are tons around Pittsburgh right now, handles the snow and the jeep trail up to where we dive with no problem. These vehicles were made for the military and police originally and were sold to the public due to their popularity with the normal "consumer" base ehancments. In fact, at this moment, my wife is out in it to go get our son at his grandfathers in flooding that has taken a few lives here and I send her out with confidence, she's made it there and is on her way back. I'd suggest this vehicle to anyone

htn123:
...I saw a pictures of some poor guy's tank exploded inside his stationwagon. Let just say picture a sardine can got opened violently....... OUCH. :frown:

And the idea of wet stuffs on the inside carpet and it will sit there and mold up.... OUCH. :11:

I got me a truck, Nissan Titan of that. Or any truck is fine. I have all the room in the back for all the equipment. If something happens, it stays in the back. ....So I say a nice pickup truck is the way to go.
I hear what you're saying, but. I think I've seen that picture of the station wagon. I've also seen pictures of a concrete block wall, where a tank fell and snapped the valve. It went through the 8" block wall and 2 more wood stud walls. The body metal of a truck might slow it down, it won't stop it. If it's aimed at the cab when it goes, it'll join you in the cab.

Groundhog246:
I hear what you're saying, but. I think I've seen that picture of the station wagon. I've also seen pictures of a concrete block wall, where a tank fell and snapped the valve. It went through the 8" block wall and 2 more wood stud walls. The body metal of a truck might slow it down, it won't stop it. If it's aimed at the cab when it goes, it'll join you in the cab.

Sure, if the stuffs REALLY hit the fan like you said, beside driving a tank, not much you can do about that. But it sure is much better knowing you have 2 layers of sheet metal between you and the stuffs in the truck bed vs having none in a car/van/stationwagon.

coquito:
I drive a Nissan Xterra. Love it!! Lots of room for passangers, gear and bags. Easy drive too.

Good luck!!

For a truck my vote goes to the new 4 door Nissan Titan. For a SUV the Xterra would be my choice. The new Armada is also nice but almost to big.

Sorry to say I have a Pontiac Montana extended version,
With all the rear seats out I can get dive gear galore in there, on the down side of it I have had it for 3 yrs two transmissions and other bits and pieces, it has 95 k on the clock and yes its a nice vehicle I have loaded 6 cylinders and two sets drove for 6 hrs to a dive site, and camped in the Back of it for a week.
I am off this week to get a pick up I really do have a downer on this van. don't go here:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom