Scuba-friendly automobile suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I would definitely do some things differently, had I had it to do over again - but that's the nature of this stuff, live and learn, ya know? One thing is for sure - this sucker is built like a tank. I wanted it to be sturdy - a trailer that can go anywhere the Jeep can go - but it's a bit overbuilt. A bit bigger, a bit heavier than I would like - but I'm pretty sure it will meet its purpose just fine.

I did lots of searching before starting this project :) I got ideas from a number of places, including those down under ones. Those things are EXPENSIVE though. I figured I could build something cheaper from scratch. Now I'm not so sure. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought one :)

Yes, of course it has electric brakes.

Here, you can go up to 5000 lbs without electric brakes - but I put them on anyway because it seemed like it would be a good idea. Added something like $400-$500 to the cost of materials, but seemed like it might keep me out of trouble.

Very Cool.....:D

Looks like a well built unit. It also looks pretty heavy for a short, single wheeled trailer. I hope you have enough tonge weight and length.
Yeah, me too. I have two features that will help me with this as needed.

a). The tongue is removable. In fact, it is removed in the pictures I posted above, so that I could fit the trailer in the garage sideways. So, if the tongue I made turns out to be too short, I can just replace it with a longer one. FWIW, the fenders are also not shown in those photos. They're done - ready to bolt on - but I don't see any point until I'm finished with everything else and ready to use the thing. I'd prefer avoiding getting them banged up until it's really necessary :)

b). The axle position is adjustable. In those pictures, it is one back from the front-most position. I can relocate it back 4 or 5 notches from there too. So, I can adjust the position based on load, balance point, desired tongue weight, or whatever.

But yeah...it's heavier than I would like it to be ):

At some point in the future, I could save maybe 200 pounds by replacing the steel 48"x18"18" toolboxes with the aluminum version. But given the cost and issues involved, I'm not likely to do that unless I really need to. I paid $1000 for the three boxes that are already on there - the aluminum ones are even more...plus, I would then have 3 steel boxes that I would take a serious loss on if I sold them.

Nice project, looks like a fun project to build.
I wish it were over :)

(Wire or stick?)
Wire.

Big fan of having a truck, get a 4 door that way you can store dry clothes and extra friends :0) also for go 4wd, where you want to dive may be off the beaten path. I'm a big fan of getting a liner for the bed of your truck too and I'm a Chevy girl !:D

If you are just diving by yourself (or just you and someone else) this might not apply. However, being the owner of a dive company, I have found that nothing but the biggest and baddest will do. No little dinky toy trucks. Go Big! Nissan Titan can hold up to a days worth of dives (forty tanks plus gear) and not miss a beat. Only complaint you might have is if you are too short.

:wink:

We have:
1. Chevy four door extended bed-Starship Enterprise. Too stupid big for words. Everything rolls
2. Jeep Cherokee- Great for 10 tanks, 4 sets of gear, 4 people and good tunes..:)
3. Jeep Wrangler- 4 to 5 tanks, 2 sets of gear, 2 people.. pro- top down baby!
4. Ford Explorer- 4door covered locking bed. Great ride holds anything.... Favorite
5. Mercedes clk 230 kompressor- Still holds 6 tanks 4 sets of gear, 4 people. Makes me look like a rock star.

So, you see, anything will do, if it gets you there. But how much do you really want to spend?
For cost and function- Ford Explorer
For sheer coolness- Benz

it should be noted that the chevy and the ford are hubby's company cars this = no cost!!
oh, and we have 5 vehicles but only 2 who can drive in the family.... dduuuuhhhhmmmm

I am not sure if I missed it in all the posts or if it was not mentioned. One of the factors to keep in mind is the odor of wet stagnant dive gear on a long trip. Right now I have a 4 door Toyota Tacoma. It has a 3.4L V6. Plenty of power to haul gear and pull my boat. Really good on gas too. It has a 5' bed with a cover. I really like the fact that the gear stays dry, relatively well hidden (unless you walk up and look into the tinted windows on the cap) and secure (everything in the back can be locked) and if things start to get a little stinky on the way home after stopping for dinner while the gear gets backed in the sun in back, you dont smell it like you would in an SUV where the gear is just behind the rear seat. Also another factor is that the inside of you vehicle stays dry. With a truck everything just drains out the tailgate.

Just my two cents.

I have found that nothing but the biggest and baddest will do. No little dinky toy trucks. Go Big! Nissan Titan

Go Big and Nissan Titan should not be in the same sentence.:wink:

Big is nothing smaller than a crew cab dually, 4x4 diesel 3500.:crafty:

Trucks are for wusses. I'm trying to find a sidecar company that would make one big enough to hold dive gears to attach to my KTM Adventure motorcycle.:cool2:

I am not sure if I missed it in all the posts or if it was not mentioned. One of the factors to keep in mind is the odor of wet stagnant dive gear on a long trip.
That's another problem that using a trailer solves.

Also another factor is that the inside of you vehicle stays dry.
That one too.

i'm a big fan of my toyota 4runner v8 sport. the towing capacity is good and the stock 4 wheel drive system is unbeatable on loose florida sand. you can haul plenty of tanks and a boat on the tow hitch.

Back
Top Bottom