Bought a van. Give me some suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Tracy

Slick configuration!

I had a similar concept a couple of years ago for a Trimix stick, compressor and bottles but my other hobby really took over mandating that I keep my cargo van completely slick. So, I continue relying on dive shops for gas. That may change once I fully retire and I have more time to loaf creatively. I may dedicate the van to living space and outfit an aluminum frame trailer for both hobbies.

@Tracy

Slick configuration!

I had a similar concept a couple of years ago for a Trimix stick, compressor and bottles but my other hobby really took over mandating that I keep my cargo van completely slick. So, I continue relying on dive shops for gas. That may change once I fully retire and I have more time to loaf creatively. I may dedicate the van to living space and outfit an aluminum frame trailer for both hobbies.
I have a second cargo van that is empty. It just hauls bulk bottles and hydro tanks. For very remote trips, it can haul my second gas compressor.

... I originally had a steel divider separating the cargo area from front seats but I removed it since I wanted to be able to get to the cargo easy more easily. ...
I wonder if a long wheelbase, tall roof Sprinter van with a crew cabin layout would work. At any rate, I think I would want a bulkhead (cage?) separating the people in the front from the heavy stuff in the cargo part of the van. Maybe the cage could have some kind of gate that can be swung/slid open when needed.

Everything I read, though, suggests that the long wheelbase models are a bit of a pain with regard to parking, etc.

rx7diver

P.S.: Nice build, by the way.

I wonder if a long wheelbase, tall roof Sprinter van with a crew cabin layout would work. At any rate, I think I would want a bulkhead (cage?) separating the people in the front from the heavy stuff in the cargo part of the van. Maybe the cage could have some kind of gate that can be swung/slid open when needed.

Everything I read, though, suggests that the long wheelbase models are a bit of a pain with regard to parking, etc.

rx7diver

P.S.: Nice build, by the way.
I had the shortest wheel base they make 118" It is/was slightly smaller than a Chevy Suburban for length so it wasn't too bad for parking. I went back and forth about the steel divider but I was carrying pets so I wanted to be able to get back there. Mine didn't have a door but that would have been a good solution. I thought about doing some sort of cargo net but in the end I just made sure everything was rachet strapped down and secured multiple times.

I see a lot of Sprinter vans but I do like that the Promaster had slightly more square walls. It was very easy secure panels to the build with rivet nuts

Definitely add a nice Pressurized shower with insulated water tank (or heater) :wink:

Now I’m starting to want a van. Haha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom