Scuba Friendly Airlines - Please add to list and share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish there was a overall weight allowance for passenger and baggage of say 500 lbs and a width limitation on passengers before they are required to purchase a second seat. Those passengers that exceed the width limit can reserve the extra seat when booking and also be allowed the extra baggage weight. Without reserving the seat in advance no extra baggage weight would be allowed and if no extra seats are available they would get bumped to a later flight without compensation.

Amen! Getting nickeld & dimed to death gets old very quickly.

It is sad that this thread has so few American carriers, but not wholly unexpected. :shakehead:

Note that, at the time of your post this thread had so few American POSTERS.

:eyebrow:

Continental is great if your are Elite...

In US - two 50lb bags free.
International - two 75lb bags for free.

God only knows what will happen post United merger.

I wish there was a overall weight allowance for passenger and baggage of say 500 lbs and a width limitation on passengers before they are required to purchase a second seat. Those passengers that exceed the width limit can reserve the extra seat when booking and also be allowed the extra baggage weight. Without reserving the seat in advance no extra baggage weight would be allowed and if no extra seats are available they would get bumped to a later flight without compensation.

You ain't kidding. Flying to Bonaire last year the guy next to me weighed at least 400lbs, and literally spilled over into my seat. He and his buddy were complaining about the luggage restrictions.

Hell, I could have brought my wife and both kids and STILL not weighed as much as this guy.

We Canadians are lucky in that WestJet and Air Canada include two free checked bags on all flights - international and domestic.

We Canadians are lucky in that WestJet and Air Canada include two free checked bags on all flights - international and domestic.

Sorry, no longer true... at least for AC. Have a look HERE.

Thanks - we've been on WJ exclusively this year for international stuff and AC domestic. Never assume!

We are flying Sunwing in September and will have our usual one suitcase each plus one dive bag with both sets of gear. Their websitre says 2 luggage each totally 20kg (44 lbs). One of us will have one suitcase and one will have one suitcase + dive bag. Maybe they'll weigh all three and let us have a total of 88 pounds. That should be okay. I guess we could carry our regs in our carry-on and that would help. I don't think they weigh those.

I thought airlines had a free "sport bag" policy for stuff like skis, gold clubs and dive equipment.

I wish the airlines would just return to all inclusive fates (albeit higher) fares so we didn't have to deal with all these silly add-on charges.

Amen! Getting nickeld & dimed to death gets old very quickly.

I couldn't disagree more with you two esteemed posters, although I do so respectfully.

9 out of 10 trips for me are short trips with no or very small checked bag, most often only a carryon or two.

I would much rather keep my cheaper tickets on those flights than subsidize the costs of the people on the plane that do check bags, especially large and heavy ones by paying the (albeit) higher fare every time.

When I do go on a dive trip, or longer trip that requires checked bags, I'll pack carefully, check the website before I go, and possibly pay the bag fee if it means keeping the other 9 flights cheaper.

Last edited:
Presenting to airline staff and other passengers and the way one conducts in an airport generally is an art form that could become a specialty.

It wouldn't surprise me if Air France was owned by Aqualung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom